planning on incorporating a 4000 gallon salt water aquarium into the house foundatio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never been scuba diving but I would love to do it. It's one thing if it's in the ocean and you can go where ever you want and everything is constantly changing but an aquarium will always be the same for the most part. The only difference is what you add to it but it will all be old news with in a week or so

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never been scuba diving but I would love to do it. It's one thing if it's in the ocean and you can go where ever you want and everything is constantly changing but an aquarium will always be the same for the most part. The only difference is what you add to it but it will all be old news with in a week or so

Realistically this tank will most likely be subbed out for routine maintenance. Hopping in once a month would be cool, swimming around seeing what's new.. hey## who put the moray eel in here.. very funny guys..who's got the hot dogs?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

planning on incorporating a 4000 gallon salt water aquarium into the house fo...

I wouldn't build deep I don't think. I would build a very long tank with lots of real estate for corals. My tangs care less about depth, they want running room. Just depends on what you want. Instead of a few huge fish, I would prefer hundreds of smaller ones.

how bout we forget about all this silly reef nonsense and make this FW and throw in a mekong giant catfish... Which is essentially a swimming cow (sure to be a conversation starter )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a nice specimen :)

Attachments

• 1416865693240.jpg
    1416865693240.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 95
how bout we forget about all this silly reef nonsense and make this FW and throw in a mekong giant catfish... Which is essentially a swimming cow (sure to be a conversation starter )

Agreed! Only a school of 500 rummynose tetras, 50 angels, 75 GBR, and 1000 cardinals with 1000 Julii cories would look better IMO. Probably 500 Congo tetras too and 50 discus.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yes, I am a Harry Potter Nerd. SO THERE! ✨ ?⚡

If you think the prospect of diving your own reef would get old after just a week or so then this project/system isn't for you!

I'd jump in even if I didn't really need to! I'm sitting on the other side of the glass, because I can! Really it would be awesome, so awesome you'd need to create a new word just to describe the emotion as you break the surface each time.:eek:

(Not tonight I'm swimming with the fishes) (y)

I'd fit a springboard IF it got old. I need to work on my freestyle diving anyway, given that I have zero experience that could be an additional bonus each time.
That's just about random enough for Fishkeeping.

:arrow::moon::drain:

A chap I know regularly dons a wet suit to clean parts of his koi pond, believe me, that was the only item he never considered purchasing!

His only complaint is if he needs to address anything on a cold day, really you'd have it easy in a tropical environment (stock depending, naturally)

J.mcpeak
''''''''''''''''''''''

I've signed the dotted line, the job is mine!
Back off everybody! :whistle:

I would like to see it full of danios and other little schooling minnows with a really cool aquascape like some fallen trees showing the root structure and tons of plants

I would like to see it full of danios and other little schooling minnows with a really cool aquascape like some fallen trees showing the root structure and tons of plants

Well if it's fresh now... mangroves and peacock bass. Replenished schools of baitfish..ever witnessed a bass eating?? Very epic..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That would be cool it would also keep the schooling fish population under control

Stingrays are cool it just isn't the same without a shark though. I would go with saltwater for a stingray and get an active shark like a smooth grey hound shark and some cat sharks and maybe a haller's stingray

A 4000 gallon tank is too small for free swimming sharks long term. Captain Nemos in East Norriton had a 5000 gallon tank with black tip reef sharks in it, and they quickly outgrew it, and would damage their bodies bouncing off of the glass.
Take a Tour of Our Store

Black tips get huge and have to swim constantly to breath even when they sleep smooth grey hound sharks are bottom dwelling sharks like cat sharks but there alittle more active and have more of the shark look to them the minimum tank size is 300 gallons so I'm pretty sure they would do great in a 4000 gallon aquarium

I guess I don't get sharks. They just get big and slow, are messy eaters and really hard to rehome when they get too big. And they certainly aren't colorful. Each to their own. If you want to keep dangerous looking fish, stock some fresh water pike. Now they are scary looking.

I agree. But that being said pike are exactly the same northern pike and muskies get up to 6 feet.. I don't know if gar are considered pike but I know an alligator gar can reach lengths of 10 feet. Smooth grey hound sharks max out at 6 feet coral cat sharks 3 feet. Any shark that gets huge and has to constantly swim just to breath shouldn't be in an aquarium. But the sharks I'm talking about are going to stay the same size or smaller then pike. I guess it just depends on if you want salt water or fresh water

In size I mean and there both very messy other then that there care requirements are totally different

It's not one for a community but an Epaulette shark. That's 3ft or just over.
Would make a nice pet!
I'm sure the reason they have rounded tanks to help prevent head banging.
(Sharks ain't into metal!)

I think sharks are more into classical music like the piano I think if I had the space for one I would buy a piano just so I could play it while I watch it eat. When is this 4000 gallon build going to happen?

Back
Top Bottom