planning to get a coral banded shrimp. please advise !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angmoh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Current livestock

1) False percula (ocellaris) x 1
2) Bicolor Blenny x 1
3) Turbo Snail x 1
4) Feather star x 1

10 gal , with a mini power head + air-driven skimmer ... 8 kg of LR ...

can i introduce a coral banded shrimp into my tank ?? any advice ? thanks

I coral banded shrimp may do okay but they do have an aggressive streak. 10gal is not a lot of room for it. I would suggest going with a less aggressive shrimp like a skunck cleaner or a blood shrimp.

it will get huge in that 10.

I have a CBS in my 20 that is to big for that tank. the little antenna things that stick out of his head are at least 60% as long as the tank is.

If I buy my shrimp from my LFS I just throw them in and they do fine. But if I order them offline like my CBS I drip aclimated him for a good 2 hours. Yes they are right they do get huge! The antenas are like 5 inches long on mine! Though I have noticed no aggresion yet. As for shrimp I would get something smalled if I were you like a cleaner shrimp or pepperment cleaner shrimp get a heafty size themselves but they like small spaces I think mine stays under his rock all day until something floats by then hes on the move.

I would work on getting more small inverts like snails and hermit crabs. CBS would be too much for the tank.

I used to have a coral banded shrimp in my 55gal. uhhhhh...that thing was mean! :evil: he would beat up my hermits and later on finished 2 emerald green crabs. I had to isolate him...and died 3-4 months after that. I will never buy another one!!

My set-up (75 gallon) is new, but I have lots of hermit crabs and one amazing CBS. I've been feeding the CBS a little piece of shrimp every other day, and he hasn't bothered the hermits at all. He walks over them, and comes out when I approach the aquarium. We all love watching him. Hope my experience doesn't change, but so far so good with the CBS!

But I forgot that we're talking a 10-gal. set-up here! Probably not enough space!!

ok ... i did went to the LFS and bought one CBS ... but ... it dead within 3 hours in the tank !! why ??

i did acclimate it .. 30 mins for the water temperature, 15 mins for the salinity acclimation ...

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = unknown

can i know wat could be the reason to kill it that fast ?

I would suggest going with a less aggressive shrimp like a skunck cleaner or a blood shrimp.
As mentioned, I do not think the CBS is a good choice for your tank. I am sure the death is due to an acclmation issue. Shrimp ar sensative animals and should be drip-acclimated over the course of a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom