plans for a kalk doser.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know of any plans for a kalk dripper or doser however you prefer to say it. Nothing fancy but nothing trashy either. Thanks

Auto top off with a float switch, doesn't get much easier than that ;) Just need a powerhead, a floatswitch (www.autotopoff.com) some tubing and a resevoir (I use some rubbermaid containers from walmart, very inconspicuous, especially if the resevoir needs to be outside the stand). Cost about 30-50 bucks ;)

well for right now here is what sumphead and i are going to do. Buil an acrylic tank to sit on top of the sump. It will hold 2-3 gallons. That is what i will put my kalk in. I loose about a gallon a day so i figure i will hve to replace it about every two days. Does this sound ok?

I'd go for 10, it's a pain replacing it every few days, I started with a 5g container and quickly went with a 10g container.

it's a pain replacing it every few days, I started with a 5g container and quickly went with a 10g container.
Amen brother! I started with 5 gallons and now have one that holds more than 15 gallons. I got an unused RV water tank. It's square sides let me hide it between the stand and the wall, relatively inconspicuous.

The only problem is that i am trying to hide it in the stand. No room in there really for a 10 gallon container. The girlfriend doesn't like stuff just sitting on the sides of the stand and neither do I. Any other suggestions.

Look into a kalk reactor, or build one. Sumphead should be able to build you a kalk reactor, or a CA reactor, but the money comes into the ca reactor with the co2 regulator ;)

yeah he is building a kalkreactor as we speak. The only problem is i would have to run an R/O line to the ractor. I live in an aprtment so there is really no way for me to do that. I would much rather have a kalk reactor b/c then you don't have to buy the gages and tank and crap like that. AHHH. Maybe i will just dose B- Ionic the rest of my life. This sucks. Well hopefully i will figure something out.

set up the kalkreactor with a powerhead and an ro resevoir? Maybe you could pm me and tell me more. Or do you know of anyone who has done that?

I don't know, but the reason for the RO hookup is a constant supply of RO water, this can be achieved by a small powerhead and an RO resevoir. You'd want a check valve to prevent any kalk from backing into the pump in case of a poweroutage, but that should be the only difference. Just reducing the powerhead down to 1/8th ID tubing, but I'm sure it could be done.

By using a resevoir and a pump, your adding a small hassle to a pretty much hassle free operation.

Back
Top Bottom