Plant lights turned into reef lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColBen112

Aquarium Advice Activist
My brother has a 48 in sun blaze t5 ho light that he uses to grow tomatoes and what not he was going to give me that light for my reef tank I don't see a problem with it as long as I change the bulbs to like a 10 k and some actintic bulbs as well does anyone see a problem I know it's going to be enough lighting and all that I'm just curious if these grow lights have anything different from a reef light excluding the bulbs??

My brother has a 48 in sun blaze t5 ho light that he uses to grow tomatoes and what not he was going to give me that light for my reef tank I don't see a problem with it as long as I change the bulbs to like a 10 k and some actintic bulbs as well does anyone see a problem I know it's going to be enough lighting and all that I'm just curious if these grow lights have anything different from a reef light excluding the bulbs??

I don't think it would be an issue as Long as you replace the bulbs. How many bulbs is the fixture?

id double check the watage and length on the bulbs and make sure they match up accordingly. also how many bulbs are there total?

I used to use hydroponics T5 fixtures over my reef, mainly because they were cheaper. As stated, all you need to do is change the lamps out for reef colors. I would use ATI lamps. They are potent and have some awesome colors. Blue plus and aqua blue specials are my favorites.

It's a 8 bulb fixture yeah that's what I was also figuring about the wattage thanks guys just wanted to see if other people were on the same page as me ha

The difference between hydroponics fixtures and aquarium ones is the size and the amount of cords....I have an 8x 54 watt fixture here and it has a single cord for all lamps, so you can't turn half on in the morning, and do the morning/evening transition thing. No big deal really.
Also my fixture has very wide individual reflectors. My fixture measures 48" x 24", so it won't work over a 75 or 55. but it would fit perfect over a 120.

i was looking at lights like the hydroponic set ups last night i want to get the bulb t5ho for my bow front 55gal they are almost half the price

I upgraded to a 90 gallon reef and I didn't want to buy a new aquaticlife light so dang expensive and my brother told me he had a t5 light but used it for plants that would for perfect over the tank ha I still have yet to check the wattage on it but I'm pretty sure it will work but in gonna check before I go out and buy new bulbs

Check how many lamps too. Depending on what types of coral you intend to keep, it may not be strong enough. For instance, a 4 lamp fixture won't allow you to keep sps.

mr_x. I have noticed you have changed from T5. Are you using led now? I'm slowly improving my light. I have 2x aquabeam white, I plan to buy 2x white samsung for marine 10000w 15w/m, and keep 2x blue T5. Do you think it will be enough for 250l?

Yes, I use LEDs. Which aquabeams are you using? What are the dimensions of your tank?
I am not familiar with the samsung units. Can you post links to what you are speaking of?

Back
Top Bottom