Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leahdanilalton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank with 30-35lbs of lr. a handful of margarita snail, hermit crabs, 4 peppermint shrimp 2 camelback shrimp 1 red brittle star and two soon to be gone horshoe crabs. Fish I have 2 clowns, 1 wrasse, 1 coral beauty angel and 1 fiji blue devil.....I know my tank is pretty much stocked but it seems to be missing something...I don't have corals and I don't really want corals at this stage in my saltwater life...are there any kind of plant life that I can put into the tank and if so are they nice looking and what would I have to have in my tank to sustain their life :) Thanks in advance

saltwater plants = macroalgae. Just run a search and you should find tons of info. Since this is for the display tank you should stay awave from caulerpa because it can grow out of control. I have halimeda and shaving brush in my DT and love them.

HTH

rosstifer

rossv said:
saltwater plants = macroalgae. Just run a search and you should find tons of info. Since this is for the display tank you should stay awave from caulerpa because it can grow out of control. I have halimeda and shaving brush in my DT and love them.

HTH

rosstifer

Shaving brushes and flatplants are great for the DT. Not as effect of a bio filtration as some of the other algae.. but nice to look at. Also a good food source. My tangs love them.

Do you have to have live sand for them to grow or will they attach themselves to live rock....will they grow in crushed coral?

BTW thanks for the pics they are really nice...I think just what i'm looking for to add some spice to my tank :)

Leahdanilalton said:
Do you have to have live sand for them to grow or will they attach themselves to live rock....will they grow in crushed coral?

BTW thanks for the pics they are really nice...I think just what i'm looking for to add some spice to my tank :)

These both will grow fine in either substrate.. Just make sure they get enough light.. At least some source of 6500k florecent lighting.. I use a 65w 6500k light from American lighting.. its an outdoor spotlight for 30 bucks.. its the 6500k that makes it useful.

SaltwaterTeen said:
Macro can be in a display tank?? I thought they needed to be in a fuge?

Macro are ok in the display tank IF...

You dont worry about your herbavore fishes eating them.. I keep mine in the refugium and just harvest off a little every week to feed my tangs...

Also you want to make sure you dont use a macro like cularpa. This can go asexual and release NO3 and PO4 back into your water cuasing big problems.. Also Cularpa grows like a weed! You'll be pruning it out of your display tank weekly!

Flat plants and shaving brushes dont grow at that kind of rate which make it nice for a display tank, but not as good as cularpa or spagetti algae at bio filtration of NO3 and PO4.. They both also do NOT go asexual so you dont have to worry about that either.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom