Plants and Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have had my new 45 gallon salt water tank setup for about nine weeks and I have a tomato clown and a young banded cat shark (I will be getting a larger tank as it grows). The tank is an eclipse setup with two bio wheels ( I know its not the best, another reason for a new tank) as well as flouresent lights. I was hoping to get some sort of live coral or plants to add some character to the tank. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

When you say “larger tank” I do hope you are at least planning for 180+ gal within the next year or two at the most and have a budget of about $4000 grand to start. If not I would take it back until you do. If it’s larger then 6”currently I would take it back as the tank you have now is not large enough.

Very few fish will be compatible with that shark and is best kept in a species only tank. Corals are out of the question as are most plants. You could use fake corals and I’d recommend http://www.aquariumbeauty.com/ if you want to add some “color” to your tank.

thanks for the reply. I am currently looking at a 180 gallon tank but I am hoping to about a year before implementing it. the shark is definitely the main attraction with a few other compatible fish. I was hoping for more around $2000 for a fairly basic setup. And the shark is only 6" now. Thanks again.

I assume you realize the tomato clown is not a compatible fish and will be a snack within a couple of months.

$2000 is pushing it since you will need excellent filtration to keep it happy. A 40+ gal sump pushing 1500+ gph with a reef ready tank is going to run you closer to $3000 new. I’d keep a lookout for used tanks in the area.

I’d try to get the tank before the shark reaches more then 10” for its health since turning in the tank will start to become limited. Make sure you are diligent about doing weekly pwc and try to keep the no3 below 10 ppm at all times.

No I did not know the tomato clown is incompatible with the shark. The local fish store said it should be fine and they have a great reputation. Are there any fish you could recommend that would go well with him, now or later in the larger tank? Also i am really not interested in the Reef setup mainly fish only with an invert. or two. Thanks Again!

Just about anything not mouth sized or slow moving both of which the clown is.(or at least will be) Also you want to avoid aggressive fish like Large angelfishes, triggers, puffers, ect... which will pick on the shark.

Checkout www.wetwebmedia.com/sharks.htm for tons of more info on keeping sharks.

I recommended the reef ready tank because it will have predrilled overflows for moving the water from the tank to the sump not because you might want corals.

Something like the All Glass Megaflows for example.

You could save a little by getting a regular tank and drill it if possible but for a tank that size and for what you want to keep (shark) I wouldn’t.

The other option is hob overflows but it’s much easier to deal with a predrilled tank :D

Do you think I should get rid of the shark, bought it a little over a week ago and would really like to keep it. I am planing on building my tank around him, but would like to have other fish (larger than his mouth) not to mention I don't want him to die if I can't properly care for him.

I agree with tecwzrd and if it was my fish and I learned all this I would take it back. Set up the new tank and after the cycle get another one. We all have the best intensions for the fish but we sometimes don't plan for the long haul and if we do plan then the cash flow is not there when needed and then the fish suffers.. JMO>.

Do you think I should get rid of the shark
By all means...yes. You do not currently have the proper tank to care for this animal. After your 180 is up and running you can look at getting another one.

Thanks for all of your advice, I returned the shark last night. does any one have and advice on some cool new fish for my tank. Thanks Again.

Well you have a decent amount of choices for a tank that size and just about any fish in the 2”-6” range would fit that profile. For starting off I’d try to limit the total adult length of the fish to around 12” until your tank stabilizes and you get adequate experience in dealing with SW fish.

Hara’s site breaks down fish specifics very well ie: fish for 10, 20, 30, & 50 gal, the types of behavior to expect from them, and how to care for them.

If you even think you might want corals down the road then I would try to stick with “reef safe” fish to save yourself headaches of having to remove them later on.

Make sure you also check out the SW compatibility guides to make sure each fish you are considering will work out with each other.

Back
Top Bottom