Plants out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ksnell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The LR I got for my tank a long time ago had some kind of plant growing on it (the leaves are serrated, like little saws, and it kind of looks like an ivy). I had no problem with it, as it looked nice, and was only on a couple of my rocks. Now however, the plant has taken over most of my rocks, and I don't want any of it anymore. Is there anyway besides ripping it off the rocks to get rid of it effectively? TIA.

Sounds like feather Caulerpa, but could be something else, too.....two ways I can think of to get rid of it would be to keep ripping it out, or get a tang to eat it. Not knowing the size or other inhabitants of your tank i can't speculate on whether the tang option would work for you.

Caulerpa is a great nutrient sponge. If you have a refugium you could try and grow some in there. If you do decide to get rid of it, try bringing it to a local LFS for store credit.

My tank is only a 20 gallon (see my info), so I think a tang is unfortunately out of the question. I transferred some of this plant to my refugium, and it seems that its taken down there pretty well. In the mean time, I guess I'll keep ripping...

I agree it sounds like feather calerpa. Just rip it out and keep it pruned. As Newfound said it is great for taking in excessive nutrients.

I have it growing like mad in my fuge and it started as one lonely frond (looks like feathers). I think it's one of the nicest looking macros but I certainly wouldn't want it in my main tank.

Back
Top Bottom