Plastidip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, can anyone tell me your thoughts and experiences with using plastidip, particularly with using it inside a 6’ tank? Is it reef safe? My back wall has a permanently stuck blue film on the back and I want to change it to black but it’s impossible to scrape off, so was looking at spraying black plastidip on the inside instead. The technical support team for plastidip believe it is Aquarium safe and very resistant to saltwater.
IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_3009.jpg

I use it on the outside but never on the inside? it smells pretty chemical like when applying. I would not chance it in my opinion

Like I said, the only reason I want to use it on the inside is because I cannot remove the backing on the outside glass as it’s permanently stuck there and impossible to peel or scrape off.

Firm nooooo. Keeping a reef in a glass box in your home presents enough trouble all in itself. Why add such an extreme variable??

Never heard of the stuff. But if it smells 'chemically', it wouldn't go anywhere near my tank. Not even on the outside. The value of my reef is much higher than any bottle of whatever, and when a simple air misting device to make your house smell good can throw things in a reef like your skimmer out of whack...not happening near one of my systems.

Who said anything about using an air misting device to make the house smell good??

I did in terms of how the chemicals in our everyday products can have a big effect on out closed systems. That stuff isn't the most toxic on earth, but can do damage if not removed if it gets into a system. As for this stuff, it would never be out of the system leaching who knows what into it. The same goes for super glue, if it isn't 100% cyanoacrylate it will leach toxins into the water column for a long time. This Plastidip is an easy pass.

Ok, I’m now leaning towards using black acrylic sheets to place inside my tank to cover the blue back wall and weir. This way there’s no risk with any toxins leaching over time. Does this sound like a better alternative, even though it will set me back around $100?

Acrylic is used all through the hobby and shouldn't be a problem what so ever. It and things like plastic that are a rating of 2, I think, which is any plastic that is drinking grade, should be OK. It gets strange outside of that and when non acrylic or drinking grade plastics are involved and they usually leach something over time due to how caustic saltwater can be.
The blue is the color of the back wall and it isn't painted?

I've now decided to keep the blue background that I have and scape tank in a way that covers as much of the back wall as possible with rock and corals which will be a gradual process over time. Back walk and weir will gradually be covered in purple coralline anyway. Don't want to risk having anything sprayed in my tank that leaches something harmful over time and putting black acrylic sheets will cost around $100 and have to do it in pieces. Anyone have any scaping ideas for a 6’ tank to fill as much of the back wall as possible?

If you follow the 1 lbs per gallon for both rock and sand, it is pretty easy to scape upwards with the rock as you aim to have as many caves and crevices as possible. Coraline will do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom