Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plate coral?

A friend of mine has this big plate coral that was given to him, the problem is that it is killing one of his other corals, chemical warefare I guess, My question is would it be safe to put it in my tank? i have a 46 gal with about 65 lbs of lr, 4 to 5 in ls, 2 x 96 50/50 antic. 2 660 ph's, 1 penguin 330 (for water movement and polishing water) skimmer. He wants to give it to me but I don't want to kill it. 8O

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Plate coral?

2x96 w PC is a average amount of light for your tank but it would really depend on the depth as well. Plates are very adaptive and do not require intense light at all. They must be placed on the substrate though and do not do well on abrasive surfaces. If the tank is only about 18" high you should be okay. Just remeber to monitor chem levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
A friend of mine has this big plate coral that was given to him, the problem is that it is killing one of his other corals, chemical warefare I guess,
Plates will attack (literally consume) other closely located corals if they can but do not as a rule engage in "cross-tank" warfare. Personally I would suggest looking at another cause or coral. If chemical in nature, aggressive skimming + GAC will usually eliminate the problem.

What coral is being affected and how far apart are they? Many soft corals in the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure what the other coral is, but the problem started with the addition of this one.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

well I have one that started in my 55 on rock I bought it is still small went froma dot to a fifty cent piece in size under 4w per gallon NO lights so I would assume it would be ok.It is dead locked on the rock though no moving this thing ever I could imagine

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com