play sand or live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troutman11111

Aquarium Advice Freak
need more sand for my 75gal tank, all i have is 1\2 inch deep in my 30 gal 12 yrs old. i have to change tanks. which way should i go? play sand or live sand, or crushed coral. play sand is the cheapest but will it make the tank cycle? thanks

Play sand will not make the tank cycle. You need an ammonia source for that. Play sand is cheaper and should be used if you can. You should then suplment your play sand with live sand. If you add the 1/2" of live sand from you 30 into the 75 that will help establish bactera colonies in the play sand.

I would do the play sand and then add a couple of pounds of live sand after you reach the depth you want. I wouldn't add more than 1/2" of play sand per week to allow any fauna to migrate to the upper layers of the sand bed. There shouldn't be any cycle from adding the sand to the tank slowly. If you do it all at once there is the possibility that you could cause a spike from smothering the fauna and bacteria.

Hmm, misread the original post, I thought there was live sand in the 75 already. Since there isn't I would add all the playsand and then the sand from the 30.

8) thats the best news i can get.thats why i tell my freinds that aquarium advice forum is the BEST! how deep should i go? (with the live sand) 8)

that was the best artical on deep sand beds, i never knew half the stuff. since my tank mishap, i only got red legged hermits now,7 what should i put in a75gal, with a5in sandbed ? :)

what should i put in a75gal, with a5in sandbed ?

Good seeded live sand from an established DSB or a detrivore kit or garf grunge or something like that. You want the different fauna, pods and worms etc...You might also consider a few minibrittle stars, some nassarius snails and cerriths and a couple of conchs (fighting or queen).

sorry, but never heard of detivore kit. would it be nessary for me 4in playsand and the 1/2 in of my 12yr old live sand? i was thinking more turbos, and cleaner shrimp,i have none now.
...You might also consider a few minibrittle stars, some nassarius snails and cerriths and a couple of conchs (fighting or queen).
brittle star is the only thing i reconize, but the one i had was6in across and ate my fea ther duster.

While the turbos and the shrimp will aid in cleaning the tank of algae and detritus, they will not maintain the sandbed. The sand bed needs to be tended to... the sand fauna is what does that, they eat the fish waste, the detritus, leftover food etc...as well a turn the sand slowly. They are what makes the DSB functional. A detrivore kit is simply an assortment of sand fauna to jump start your sand bed. They are available through www.inlandaquatics.com and www.ipsf.com they are a bit pricey and I would recommend inocculating with good LS from an established DSB, prior to purchasing one, but if you don't have any other options.... As for your 12yr old LS, if it contains a decent amount of fauna, then you would't necessarilly need any of the other options, except to promote diversity in the sand bed.

thanks for the excellent info, i'm still in the proccess of leveling the tank and hanging my striplightsfrom the wall. 1foot above the floor. i will keep you posted on my progress. i'm going to take photos from the begining. 8)

hi again, my tank water still has that milky white color from the sand. i've been filling it 1/2 full with a hose spraying the bottom to stir it up then siphone it out. did this about 10 times not getting that foam/ scum as much as when i first started. is there another way to clean this sand or is this normal? i seem to be getting the same cloudyness and foam. it does settle down in 12hrs enough to see bottom and across.

Fill the tank with water. Throw a dead shrimp or piece of fish in there to start the cycle. Keep powerheads and water returns from aiming at the bottom to keep from stirring the sand. It will settle/clear on its own in a day or 3 or 4. Bacteria will populate the surface of the sand grains and keep it from blowing around. Don't waste your time trying to clear your tank by doing water changes. You actually will benefit from having the dust settle into silt on the bottom. When you add LR and/or sanf infauna, you will have a greater diversity of critters.

Mark

Follow anemonemans advice.

Your tank looks normal given your filling it up with sand in the tank.

Just fill the tank up the rest of the way with water. try to disturbe the sand as little as possible.

Why are you trying to clean the sand again? Is it just to get rid of the dusty particles? If so dont worry about it as anemoneman has said they will acutally bneifit you later on.

Once the tank is full you could use a cup to skim off some of the bubbles if you want. Just put a cup just below the surface of the water and scoop out the bubbles and film on the top.

Back
Top Bottom