Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-31-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please advise on small shark tank

After a lot of AA advice, I recently decided to use my 20 gal for a Freshwater tank. I love it, but I still want to do a larger SW tank some day. I thought it would be real neat to do a single shark or something. What is the smallest species and smallest tank I could get away with? I would prefer something that looks "dangerous". Do you put any other fish in there? I assume you feed them live fish? Due to the cost, I even thought about seeking one from a peer fisherman down in Beaufort. Please advise,

toughguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
the smallest would be 150- 200 gallon aquarium and the shark has spots on it i think its called a panther shark

philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
There are the bamboo catsharks and epaulette sharks, but hey both require at least 150-200 like philly said. Other sharks that do more free swimming (black-tipped reef and nurse require GIANT tanks, in the 1000 or larger size. Sorry, but overall, it is best to leave the sharks in there home.
In the Sacramento Area, join Marine Aquarium Rountable of Sacramento at www.marineaquarist.org or the Sacramento Aquarium Society at www.sacramentoaquariumsociety.org
fishstixs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would recommend against it also.. but if you're serious and think you can supply a large enough habitat then get yourself a copy of "Aquarium Sharks & Rays, An Essential Guide to Their Selection, Keeping, and Natural History" by Scott Michael.

IMO even the small bamboo sharks should be housed in a 300 gal.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
There is no such thing as a "small shark tank". These animals are best left to large public aquariums or the ocean. To keep one at home you will need to have a very large (300 plus gal) tank that should be circular in shape with a soft LS substrate. People get excited about keeping sharks in a home aquarium, but honestly, the species best suited for them do not really do anyting. They just sit at the bottom of the tank anddo not really move. It is hardly the Discovery Channel in your living room. Buy a ticket to a public aquarium and enjoy them there. It is a much better experience.
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

shark, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com