Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please eval my system

Hi Everyone,

New reefer here with a new (1 month) 90 Gallon tank. I have a couple on "unique" issues that deviate from the norm.

First, after placing about 110# of partially cure LR in and 120# of LS in the tank, I have had nothing that resembles a cycle. No ammonia, nitrite spike at all. I even placed a raw table shrimp to induce a cycle to no avail. The shrimp eventually dissolved. My nitrates have stabilized at 5 ppm so there IS nitrification taking place... Aberrancy # 1

Second, I have no algae growth. I know this sounds like a blessing but even with the lights being on for 10-12 hrs a day, nothing... Not even on the acrylic. Aberrancy #2

Finally, per the advice of numerous fish stores, I added a total of 5 corals. All opened their respective polyps within 15-20 minutes which lead me to believe the water parameters are good. But, after I started adding fish and invertebrates (2 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, and fire shrimp) they all have disappeared... They are all hiding behind the rocks and never come out. When I place a mated watchman goby/pistol shrimp in the tank, the pistol buried itself and have not seen it in 5 days, much to the chagrin of he watchman goby. If it died under the sand, will it be enough to foul the water??? How long should I wait before adding another pistol shrimp?

Thanks for reading.

SheroMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would take a sample of your water to the LFS and have them test it.

AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I palce lr from my LFS into my tank also. Not a good practice but I am aware of the risks. My point is, if you got good healthy rock from the store and transported it in a timely manner to your tank then you may not see any adverse affects. Nothing really abnormal happening here. As for the algea growth it will come. some tanks never develop a lot of coraline algea. My 29G with MH lighting grows very little. My 75G with VHO grows like crazy. Maybe the lighting, maybe the diff bio loads../shrug. Anyway if your water params are good then there is no reason why your corals or fish wouldn't do well. As for the 'hiding' thats perfectly normal for newly introduced stock. As long as you can see they are hiding, let them hide. Most inverts are night owls anyway so it may be some time before they learn to come out during lighting cycles to feed. I have a 2 yr old coral banded and he stays hidden with the exception of feeding time. Don't sweat it until your water tests tell you otherwise.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I would not add any corals till we find out if your tank is going to cycle. If your LR was cured then you might not experience one but if you do then your corals will suffer. Lets figure out if your going to cycle or not first. You have to realize that fish stores are in it to make money which is what they did. They are not worried about what happens now. Give us a reading of PH,ammonia,nitrite and nitrates. Good luck
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I see a storm brewing but I hope it never comes. I cannot believe a LFS store advised you to put corals in a one month old tank! One or two damsels sure why not but corals! I would monitor your levels daily and at the first sign of a cycle pull the corals out. I wouldn't advise corals in a tank for at least six months or more. Mushrooms and stuff like that maybe but not SPS. But who knows you may have the miracle tank we all wish for and everything turns out beautiful.
angelscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

What's your ulitmate stocking plan? Your rock may have had enuf bacteria already present to combat/consume ammonia. A whole shrimp had no effect? How long was it in there?

Also, I'd be leaning towards questioning the test kit also as another possible culprit on this. I'm asking about your ultimate fish list because it may be something to consider adding them in stages and watching the ammonia while you do it. For instance, if you wanted clowns, being hardy fish, might go ahead and add them/a pair. Watch the ammonia for a week and see if it goes up. If not, then add another or two fish. Having said that, if you haven't a cycled tank, you're gonna be in for constant water changes if you add fish. Not a bad thing, but stressfull on them if the ammonina gets up too high.

Maybe get a 20g QT tank set up and have a place to remove/relieve ammonia stress if it gets out of hand in the main.

Oh yeah, stay completely away from coral for a bit. Gotta get your tank stable - or at least make sure it is as stable as it seems. You may have lucked out with the rock.

Only one fish in there, right? Not enuf to test the 90g for an ammonia absorbtion (sp?) test. The cleaner/pistol shrimp won't add anything.

Hard to say what your tank is doing, but just go slow, do your hardier fish at the beginnning (clowns. chromis, gobies etc) and you'll be OK IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

stem, system, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com