Please help ! Beginner with 700 Gallon Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow thats amazing!! Thank you I did not even think of that. Sorry i had the dimensions in the original post and then completely forgot to put them in on this one. They are

8 ft wide x 6 ft tall x 2 feet deep.

That is what i was given by the person i am buying it from. does that sound about right? Also, what fish would you reccomend ? How many fish do you think think the tank can hold?

Thanks!!

Wow I'm renting and won't go anything above 30g due to that, gonna be a long hard moving process if you move to a permanent residence which is what I'm waiting to do to get anything big lol

does the landloard know about this? lol

For a tank that size you can fit A lot of fish. You can do schools of smaller mixed with some awesome big angles and triggers. I don't think there is a fish you couldn't put in a tank that size.

haha thanks! if you guys have any fish that you recommend i will google the name you suggest and perhaps put it in there and send you a picture ( if i can figuire out how ) haha.

and as for the height measurement i am not sure i dont think so but i dont know as i have not measured it myself.

i am not sure what the species is called ( sorry i am really a complete beginner) but i will find out on Wednesday and let you all know!

Oh wow....I would not keep a shark in a 8' x 2' tank, no matter how tall it was. they need a large footprint to roam. Take them to the public aquarium or possibly trade them for credit at the LFS.
You are right, it will be extremely hard to light a 6' deep tank for corals, but, depending on the way it's constructed, you may be able to build some sort of submersible background that you could attach corals to around half way up. You can light a 3' deep tank with minimal effort.
You could do tangs, angels, triggers, eels, look down fish..there are many.

With a High tank, I wonder how do you fill the top? because i have always noticed that most of the tank is at the bottom and the guy at the fish store said that while we believe there are top middle and bottom feeders that does not always happen.

How do you keep the top of the tank looking lively? and any idea how i can post a pic of my tank to give you guys a better sense of perspective?

Holy bleep the tangs are AWESOME!!!! That is EXACTLY what i looked at that made me want to get saltwater WOW!

Here are some ideas for back grounds. Some people make them out of fiberglass and attach rocks to them-
https://www.google.com/search?q=sub...=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

look down fish mostly swim at the top 3rd of the tank, but I'm sure they will all be swimming all over. If you have the back ground like I am suggesting, fish will want to pick at the algae growing on it so they will be all over, and where there is light, there is algae...

perfect ! yes i have been looking into similar backgrounds for my freshwater tank, however i have not been able to find them. is there a guide on how to make them?

Finally Figuired it out! Here it is !! Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 199
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 187
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 216
I would get those airstones out of there and put more power heads in to increase circulation. I would also get rid of the sharks. They are not going to do well in that tank.

How much did you pay for this?

Last edited:
You can see the ASM skimmer to the left....and locline coming from the bottom. I'm guessing that's the sump over there.

If the floor is concrete your okay. A regular wooden floor supported on joists might need to be reinforced. I had to add steel to my house to place my 300 in the middle of the room. I would put something down to set the tank on. Like a piece of plywood or osb.

Your right about the corals, but with a tank like this you could build a rock wall and get corals closer to the surface.

Otherwise, as X said, your in a great position to house many beautiful full grown fish without issue. I am so use to telling people their tanks are too small for that fish, it's nice to not worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom