Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all very very much for your replies! That was very helpful in putting a lot of things in perspective and I appreciate the help.

The tank already comes with a shark that is fairly long , it has a hermit crab and some other fish that I do not know for sure but they look beautiful. As the Tank is a High vs Long, I dont know if it neccesarily appears as big in terms of its profile.

The dimensions are 8 ft wide x 6 ft tall x 2 ft deep. I am supposed to pick this tank up from someone over the weekend but was going to ask you guys :

1) What are the key things that one would look at to make sure the tank is in good shape?

2) I believe the filled weight is about 6,500 pounds aproximately. The house i am living in has carpet and vinyl floors . Where would you guys recommend keeping it? What are the potential challenges you foresee with respect to damange to the carpet or vinyl? I believe it will be there for atleast 1 year if not longer.

With regards to live stock, the person I am buying it from told me that I can not do corals as ample light may not reach since it is a high tank. Hence he said he has 'live rock' and gravel and that if i wanted to get stingrays i would need to add some sand on top of the gravel.

From what the owner told me , his maintenance cost was primarily electricity, food and 2 gallons of water a day ( 50c per gallon ) that needed to be replenished due to evaporation ( he said he kept the top open as it allowed the water to stay cooler and replacing the 2 gallons per day were the same as doing a water change).

I dont know if this is true or he said this to make a trade but I thought i would see your thoughts and opinions about whether you think he was being up front and honest with regards to his costs.

Again thank you guys for all the help!

PS: Here is a link to some pictures , i uploaded it to my dropbox since I could not find a way to do it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9pvfhxjwu1oqdr0/PA7v3X3zLN

Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #12

No haha Arizona!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

There was a large sw tank on craigslist in phx about that size lol. Have you already set up the tank?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

In the process of moving it now.

I posted a longer reply to what everyone said from earlier but it said a moderator needs to approve it and i cant see it on here ? do you know why that is happening ?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's weird. It might be because you just joined I know they watch closely on some things. I think it will stop once you get a certain number of posts.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Question, with 700 gallons do you have to reinforce the floor? That must be incredibly heavy, can a standard floor take that?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #17

Wow 700g. That's a big tank. Please post a picture. I bet its wicked. I couldn't comment on costs as in the uk not many people to service a tank. Love to know what fish you decide on.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #18

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your replies! I posted this earlier but for whatever reason the site did not post it and said it needed to be approved by a moderator first? Either ways the tank already comes with sharks, hermit crabs and some other stuff fish that are very good looking but i do not know the names of.

The tank itself is 2000 pounds empty and aprox 6500 pounds full. In the house i am currently at, i have vinyl floor and carpet floor. Both are on a single level. I was wondering what you guys recommend for such a heavy weight? Will the carpet with something under it in case it leaks be better or vinyl floor? I am renting so i do not want to damage anything and i am trying to make sure i take all precautions necessary.

I believe that because the tank is 700 high, it is not possible to do corals because the light will not penetrate properly for them to grow and be healthy. The person I am buying this from said that his main costs were adding water which was about 2 gallons per day due to evaporation ( he did not put a lid on the tank as he said it got very hot ) and that was about 50c per gallon. Also he said there was electricity and food.

I appreciate all your responses where you were going over the costs as well, do you believe that this will be the case for me as well ie

Food
Electric
Water

The maintenance guys said he would do all the chemicals and the salt and stuff so i would not need to buy those myself. Also i wanted to ask you all, when you are looking for a tank what do you look for to make sure the tank is in good condition? I wanted to make sure that I buy something that will not necessarily need much from a repair perspective?

So this is the 3rd time i am posting this i think adding a drop box link is getting it flagged for 'review' so please forgive the repetition.

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #19

how do i upload a picture from my computer?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There aren't any chemicals needed for a shark tank. Again, what are the dimensions of this tank?

The floors are concrete with carpet and tile over it? I'd probably put it on the carpet, since the vinyl will probably have a big square dent in it when you break this baby down.

I also agree with Greg- I would take the sharks to the public aquarium and do lots of other, extremely colorful fish instead. Fish that don't need live foods. With this size tank you will be getting fish donated to you on a regular basis- most people can't keep fish until they are full grown due to the size of their tanks, but you can.

Tags
beginner, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com