Please help ! Beginner with 700 Gallon Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use to have baby snapping turtles, extremely easy to raise and they can be a lifetime pet. Dangerous when they're older though, before my dad became a naval officer and he was lower ranking they came in contact with a old snapping turtle, the thing bit through a shovel handle like it was butter aparently

Obviously fresh water. I pull one out of my farm pond every year. Pound for pound one of the ugliest, meanest creatures on planet earth. Modern day dinosaur. A shovel handle would be little effort for an adult one. Bass Pro Shops here usually have one in their 5000 gallon tank.

Last edited:
Obviously fresh water. I pull one out of my farm pond every year. Pound for pound one of the ugliest, meanest creatures on planet earth. Modern day dinosaur.

XD they're like boomerangs to you then huh.
Why have a guard dog when you could have a snapping turtle?

No gun lol I'll raise him give me a few years I want a large unough habitat to maintain a turtle that can grow to 4 500 pounds

You CAN pick them up if you know how. They get huge and I can't imagine housing a dirtier creature. They live in the slime on the bottom of ponds, lurking.

As you remove the mud they just get uglier, if that's possible. But not a real aquarium choice. If you have a pond you may already have one depending where you live. But good luck with the fish choices.

I didn't think so. Went to the Cayman Turtle Farm years ago. They had thousands of little sea turtles in big concrete ponds. They have been releasing turtles for a long time. This is a saltwater forum so I get too focused there.

Yea I can just imagine my turtle would race across the tank like it's a marathon and dive farther as his dive is like 18 inches now and hits glass sometimes

I had turtles since I was little but I had two in a 25 gallon for years now I am older and know more also they didn't have heat or basking area they still survived I think close to 10 years healthy my dad let em go cause we moved

Turtles would spend 99% of their time at the top of the tank, sitting under the lights. You would need a step ladder to enjoy them.

Well my turtles spend a few hours a day up there far from 99% and that should really be a place he can go in private so that's ok

But it would be cool to see them with a step ladder even I'd totally do it I can watch them for hours if u like turtles it's cool

I've never kept turtles. I just look at them when I go to the LFS, and they are always on top of each other under the light. I dunno....I can think of better uses for this tank. They will definitely scratch it up also. Every tank i see that housed turtles had scratched up glass. I can't imagine an acrylic turtle tank!

Back
Top Bottom