Please help ! Beginner with 700 Gallon Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as impact, maybe. But for sure it has more potential to leak because water pressures are x3. Much harder to maintain and to work on generally. Makes a nice FOWLR tank, but check what a adult angel costs. The 700 borders on insanity, but then I am insane. If I had a LFS I might have it.

But moving it again in a few years? Not impossible but wears me out thinking about it.

Last edited:
So while the size was EXTREMELY awesome, I think you all had some really really good advice and based on that I passed on the tank.

While I am open minded to getting one that size, i would like something a little deeper because it will be more accommodating of something like a shark.

Also I wouldnt mind something high but that was too high to grow corals and other things without tinkering with it and as a beginner, i would rather take your reccomendation and get something that is about 300 gallons long.

Thank you all very much. I really appreciate all your advice it truly has been invaluable.

I hate talking anyone out of anything, but I think you did the right thing. Anything over 6' long and you can keep most fish. I have a 300 and think its a pretty good compromise. I want someday to build a 1000, but it won't be more than 30" deep. 15'x3'x3'

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, I use to spawn fresh water tropical fish in kiddie pools in the summertime. Pretty cheap aquarium and they come with a picture of the Little Mermaid.

Iv seen aquariums where they grow some coral and such then put sting rays in long short pools of water, could probably figure out some sort of system to make that work in a backyard haha

I was thinking about that tall 700 and I think I would have filled it just over half way and done a "under and over" aquarium.

You should make one of those sea world stingray touch tanks.

Haha that would be awesome!

What do you guys think of this?

phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/for/4340468679.html

No sump, just canisters if I read right. You can do better. :)

Just be patient, the perfect setup will show up one day and you'll be glad you waited.
I got a 180g with 300lbs of live rock and sump and top notch skimmer with sump for $500. I just waited a couple months and this awesome deal fell in my lap. Came with a 2k plus stand and canopy too.

Depending on where you are located there are a couple stores you can look into for a nice tank. Aqua touch, tropical treasures and discount aquarium sell used fish tanks and every once in awhile they have awesome deals. If you want something new the ocean floor has a credit type thing and you get 90 days to pay off whichever tank you choose. These are all in the phx area

Thank you very much ! The thing is I am looking to trade for it right now rather than pay , also I like the fact that if I buy it privately , I will get the water and it's started.

Very true. Look for a guy named Francis on Craigslist if you buy the tank from him he starts you off with the sand water and starter coral from his system so it's ready to go. I just got some stuff from him. Lots of freebies, my 5 year old loved it lol

Wicked in Phoenix?? Do you have any contact info? And dies he trade?

Off topic could I put a camera on my tank and view it through a computer or smartphone cause I'm going far from my tank and I'd like to see it while I'm in the army from time to time

Yes you can atleast outside the tank ( not submersible ) I have done it . You need an ip camera like foscam. Or a dropcam

Back
Top Bottom