Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I put the sealed bag in the tank for about 15 minutes to let it come to temp, then I opened the bag and added 1/2 cup tank water, waited 15 min, added 1/2 cup, 15 min, 1/2 cup, 15 min (total time 1 hr) and then scooped them out and put them in the tank. That's what my LFS recommended. One died two days later and the other three days later. Are inverts typically easier or harder to acclimate than fish?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I find I have more success using the drip method for at least 2 hours. Inverts are less tolerant to water changes than fish.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, so I searched for drip acclimation and it seems that the way I did it isn't terrible, I just didn't do it for long enough? Maybe next time I should add smaller amounts of water each time and do it for another hour?

So much for lightly stocked! I don't really want to have three clowns but they're a family and came with the tank. I was going to bring them back to the store but they're smarter than I am and there was no way they were going to let themselves get caught.

My total volume is 70G so how many inches of fish can I have? Max 23" (1" per 3G)? Maybe I should bring the chromis back. He's beautiful, but he's also big and hungy and picks on my poor little gramma. I do like that he's always out front though.

Does anyone have experience with fairy or flasher wrasses and would you recommend them?

Re: assessors, my fish book recommends adding one large and three small. If I wanted both yellow and blue, could I do two of each?

Do blood shrimp count toward my bio load? I know they're not really part of the cleaning crew, but they're really cool looking.

So many questions. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I like the drip method because I don't have to watch the time. I just start it up and do other things while I am waiting, like moving rock, scraping, making dinner and other things.
The inch per gallon rule is a bit outdated. There are some gish that need mre swimming room and there are others that are messy eaters.
I have never had a wrasse so I really can't help there the same with assessors.
Inverts don't really count against your bioload.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I've had both. For the flashers, I had the carpenter flashers. IMO it's best to have 3 of them to get the most our of the beautiful flashing display by the males. Thing is, 2 females would be better IMO, since one female might get harrased too much. They are also jumpers. My 3 changed to one female left. 2 jumped and the solitary female just died one day after more than a year in the tank. I did have a single fairy, the pencil wrasse (rainbow colored). It lived for about 3 months and died one day. Did notice it had a very small mouth. It would not eat anything but frozen or live mysis or brine shrimp. Was very secretive also and only came out when feeding time or at night. The carpenters ate everything.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com