Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2004, 02:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Please help me with cleanup crew for 18 G reef tank?

Hi, I have a 18G reef tank with liverock. I don't know what I should get as a cleanup crew for my tank size. As of now I have 5 astrea snails, 5 turbo snails, 5 red leg hermits, one green emerald and one perpermint shrimp. I have a crushed coral substrate. Should I get more snails? What else should I add? Can you have a lawnmoer blenny using crushed coral, how would it filter the rock through it's gills?

Thanks

Old 05-11-2004, 05:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That sounds about right. Give the crew some time to do their job, a couple of weeks. If they need help, you will start to notice then. If you add too many, they will clean too much off.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: Please help me with cleanup crew for 18 G reef tank?

Definately agree with the above. If what you have now is keeping up, leave it be. If this is still a relatively new set up, most of the algae concerns will subside on their own in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos77
Can you have a lawnmoer blenny using crushed coral, how would it filter the rock through it's gills?
Lownmower blenny's are not sand sifters. They will primarily feed on film algae on the rock and glass. They literally scrape the surfaces with their mouths. Some will take to prepared foods and some will not. IME, most will not. Another reason you may not wish to increase the snail population just yet. They will definately compete for the blenny's foods sources.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clean, cleanup, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com