Please help me with cleanup crew for 18 G reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcos77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 18G reef tank with liverock. I don't know what I should get as a cleanup crew for my tank size. As of now I have 5 astrea snails, 5 turbo snails, 5 red leg hermits, one green emerald and one perpermint shrimp. I have a crushed coral substrate. Should I get more snails? What else should I add? Can you have a lawnmoer blenny using crushed coral, how would it filter the rock through it's gills?

Thanks

That sounds about right. Give the crew some time to do their job, a couple of weeks. If they need help, you will start to notice then. If you add too many, they will clean too much off.

Definately agree with the above. If what you have now is keeping up, leave it be. If this is still a relatively new set up, most of the algae concerns will subside on their own in time.

marcos77 said:
Can you have a lawnmoer blenny using crushed coral, how would it filter the rock through it's gills?
Lownmower blenny's are not sand sifters. They will primarily feed on film algae on the rock and glass. They literally scrape the surfaces with their mouths. Some will take to prepared foods and some will not. IME, most will not. Another reason you may not wish to increase the snail population just yet. They will definately compete for the blenny's foods sources.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom