Please Help Unknown Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antbraash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new to this and my tank is being takin over by an unkown growth.
I hope you can see it well in the pics! I clear it out of my sand and it just keeps coming back! The tank is about 4 month old. Could this be the result of pure water flow? Thank you for any help you can give me!

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 67
It is cyno bacteria and is caused by excess nutrients. There are many ways of removing it.

Thanks, Whats the best way to treat for the problem? Can this be harmful to any of my saltwater friends? I'm going to my LFS in just a min. and can pick up what ever I need.

Cut back on feeding, shorten your light schedule for a few days, siphon it out. Use ro/di water. Run a phosphate reactor, protein skimmer. Like I said multiple ways.

Excess nutrients means you are over feeding. How often and how much do you feed? Most people say only feed once every two days others go even longer.

I feed every day but just a pinch of omega one with garlic thas what my LFS said to feed my clown fish but he's not eating it so i'm going to try somthing diffrent today.

It's not so much how much you feed, it's how often. Uneaten food causes nutrient spikes. Those spikes can kick off algae blooms (even though the red slime isn't algae, it's bacteria, it works the same way). As said earlier, smaller feedings, perhaps more often rather than a few large feedings will help. The stuff will eventually go away and maybe come back again, as it is an early indicator that there are organics available in the water for it to grow on. Water changes, good makeup water, good flow and reduced excess food in the water are the cures.

Back
Top Bottom