Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
To save Bandwidth, and because it is semi related to the conversation at hand, I am posting this question here....

I will be recieving a copper banded butterfly on tuesday morning from LiveAquaria.com

I know they are also prone to ich, and I have every intention of placing it in my 30g QT tank, with the other 3 fish I recieve from them.

My Question is, If a hyposalinity treatment becomes required, I assume I can just bring my QT tank, that I keep at 82 degrees, and 1.015 SG, down to to 1.010 SG, and keep the temp around 82-83 degrees?

Also Once the fish all look healthy, and show no signs of ich, what is the correct way to transfer them to the main tank? Should I bring the salinity up to the Main tank's 1.022 SG, and temp 80 degrees, then directly transfer them to the main tank? Or should they be placed into a bucket and then acclimated to the main tank from the hyposalinity?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=17

Here is one of our articles on QT. My only question is why do you want the salinity so low for. It will take forever to get it from your LFS to your QT and from your QT to your fish. It is also reccommended here to QT one fish at a time. The reasoning is that one fish could infect all of them where if you did one or two at a time you might be able to observe nothing wrong and add to the main after a week or two. Just some thoughts.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

Here is one of our articles on QT. My only question is why do you want the salinity so low for. It will take forever to get it from your LFS to your QT and from your QT to your fish. It is also reccommended here to QT one fish at a time. The reasoning is that one fish could infect all of them where if you did one or two at a time you might be able to observe nothing wrong and add to the main after a week or two. Just some thoughts.
From everything I have read, Hyposalinity is 1.010-1.013.

The reason I am going to QT all 4 fish, is because I am ordering them from Liveaquaria.com, So I had to make an order of multiple fish. It would cost a fortune to purchase fish 1 at a time from anywhere that has to ship them due to the cost of shipping.

-TheChad
Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ok I understand. As far as the salinity you are putting them in the QT to observe them first. You dont want to treat unless they have something first. IMO I would bump up to 1.020 and observe them for a week and see if you have anything to treat first. No use in putting them through the treatment process if they dont need to.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Ok I understand. As far as the salinity you are putting them in the QT to observe them first. You dont want to treat unless they have something first. IMO I would bump up to 1.020 and observe them for a week and see if you have anything to treat first. No use in putting them through the treatment process if they dont need to.
I agree with this. If there is not a problem, I wouldn't worry. Just observe them, if they are healthy, add them to the main, depending on the differences in your QT/main, you might have to acclimate them.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, that what I was going to do. If I need to treat them, I would lower the Salinity over a couple of days to the 1.010-1.013 range, and raise the temp up to about 83.

Once it is determined that all the fish are healthy, I planned to bring the QT tank up to match the main tank's salinity/temp, and then transfer them to the main tank one at a time, over a few days time.

My main concern is the Copper Banded butterfly. I don't think the scooter blenny, watchman goby, or algae bleeny will have or get any sickness.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
I assume I can just bring my QT tank, that I keep at 82 degrees, and 1.015 SG, down to to 1.010 SG, and keep the temp around 82-83 degrees?
I thought from this post you keep your QT salinity at 1.015 and that`s the reason I said something.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com