Please help! Water smells like rotten eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a biocube 14 g that whenever I open the little feeding lid, it smells bad. I tried turning off the lights and it smells a little less, but smells nonetheless. I see little bubble coming from the sand so maybe that's it? All the fish are acting normal, please tell me what I should do! I DON'T WANT MY FISHIES TO DIE!!!!!!! D:

I read that oxygen is good that neutralize this, should I keep the top open? If I keep it open for a long time, there is no smell

You sure it's like rotten eggs? Saltwater does have more of a smell to it than freshwater (from my experience)

Remember, it smells like sea, maybe that's what you're saying it smells like rather than rotten egg?

Hydrogen sulfide could be producing the smell because it smells exactly like rotten eggs, in fact, it's the compound that causes the smell. It's caused by air pockets trapped in your sand. I always stir mine up after I get water in to make sure there are no air pockets. You can also get some snails to keep your bed stirred and remove pockets.

Hydrogen sulfide is, however, lethal to your stock.

Idk, I've completely lifted the lid off the biocube. Is the water supposed to smell even if there is no cover? Because I would think that it wouldn't because it would be able to just disperse into the room.

Idk, I've completely lifted the lid off the biocube. Is the water supposed to smell even if there is no cover? Because I would think that it wouldn't because it would be able to just disperse into the room.

It's coming from the sand. stick your hand in and use your fingers like rakes. keep doing it till you don't get a lot of bubbles.

Are you sure? It'll kick up a lot of sand.. What type of fish bury in the sand? I've heard of bumblebee snails do it but idk.

Yes I'm sure...unless you're using powdered sugar as a substrate. Nass snails are what most people use.

Omg thank you very much! I was going to get a few of each but now I will not get bumbles. I wish they would say that on freaking live aquaria...

No problem i was going to get some of them my self because i thought they looked coo till i found out about them.

I also second the vote for some narcisuss snails. I have tons of them and they keep the sandbed nice and clean. they do not eat algae though so be warned. :)

Back
Top Bottom