Please help with my hermit crab problem :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed that my largest red legged hermit crab is chasing another red legged hermit crab and turns him over and picks on him... ( this has been going on whole day :facepalm:) and when ever i put him on the other side of the tank he quickly finds *THE SAME* poor fella and starts picking at him... the small one trys to run away but is much slower.

Is that normal? are they mating or fighting :banghead:

i thought red legged hermits were very friendly :ermm:

Thanks for reading

do you have any larger empty shells for them
mine switch out every few days it's like musical shells on who can find the best condo

I've heard and have seen in my own tank squabbling between these red legged hermit crabs. it is either trying to take its shell (which it seems unlikely since its smaller) or its a bully trying to assert it dominance? to me these RLHC are the thugs of the crab world. i wouldn't worry due to the fact they're inexpensive where i come from, and would let nature run its course.

There is reason they are 99 cents a piece lol. I wouldn't waste time trying to break up hermits. They usually duke it out and leave each other be or they kill eachother. Not preventable.

Thanks guys.

going to try to find some spare shells for those guys. maybe ask the clerks at local fish stores?

Back
Top Bottom