Please identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N.Galvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a new tank second hand and came with a glass thing that looks similar to a thermometer (but its not) and i have no idea what it is and i was wondering if anyone else has come across it

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398685237.923063.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398685268.335166.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398685286.227495.jpg

This is a salinity meter (densimeter). You put it in salted water, and it will give you instantly the salinity. This is old device usually used to mesure SG when brewing beer/wine.

You can get this for 15$, but it's not the most accurate...
$_35.JPG

Also, you can get this for 60$, but it's really accurate.
m-L6jdt05NwkIpWpJC-s71A.jpg

Aaaah thanks guys i am building a saltwater tank i bought the tank second hand and that came with it, i was curious what it was

Going with reef

And yeh i no about cycling i had a freshwater set up but i have converted i got a fee corals with the tank and a small amount of live rock i just need to build it up slowly plus the tank came with skimmer and i bought a new wave maker for it.

Thanks i have a question actualy i dont have a r/o system yet so how do i top up evaporation in the meantime as i am told not to use tap water due to the chemicals

Thanks i have a question actualy i dont have a r/o system yet so how do i top up evaporation in the meantime as i am told not to use tap water due to the chemicals

Unfortunately, you have to top up with the purest water possible.

Just go at the grocery and find "Distillated water" Or "Reverse osmosis water" bottles, make sure they don't have been remineralized after the filtration process.

Else you can start your tank with the good way, purchase a 3-4 step RODI unit, fill all the tank with clean water, that's a good start point. Else you'll start with a tankfull of tap contaminated water...

For freshwater, we don't care about using unfiltered tap water in most of the time, but in a reef this can make an huge difference. Imagine if your tap contains >10ppm nitrates... Your reef lighting system will cook some brand new algae everywhere...

Hey, regarding the picture of the hydrometer you gave. Use that thing. Dairy hydrometers (as they're often referred to) work on the same principle as the plastic cheap hydrometers with the floating needle inside. That is to say they work on relative density. But whereas the plastic floating needle hydrometers are crap and should only ever be used to measure your cars radiator fluid, glass dairy hydrometers are the most reliable density measuring equipment available. That is why labs use them all the time. And best if all, they don't need to be recalibrated all the time like a Refractometer does.
Finally, best if all, your hydrometer is scaled for your application. Ranging from pure water to salt water (1.000 to 1.026) on most Refractometers is about 3/8 of an inch. Your hydrometer looks to be about 1 inch or do for the same range.
Don't get me wrong, refractometers are the next best thing because they are easily calibrated and give a repeatable result. But you will barely be able to tell the difference between 1.025 and 1.026. My brewing dairy hydrometer was just as accurate and never needed to be calibrated.
I would not buy a refractometer if I had a glass hydrometer on hand.

Back
Top Bottom