Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-04-2004, 04:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular
How awful! I am so sorry.

Mom to the Fab 5!
FishyMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to jennymit21
such a beautiful tank that was.....so sorry! Best of Luck on rebuilding.

jennymit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:22 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
That's one of those things we never think about but I guess it could happen to any of us

I'm glad noone was hurt too. Please keep us updated on the developments with the heater manufacturer.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
Really sorry to see what happened.
72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
ACoS wrote:
so sorry to hear about this...

I got one word "SUE!"
fishfreak wrote:
Thats one of the problems now a days.

I feel for you. That looked like alot of hard work there to go away in few minutes is devastating. I hope that never happens to me. Maybe with a little luck, you can contact the Company and they can help offset the cost of this. Some are very concerned when it comes to a defect in one of their products.

It should be possible to at least save the LR, you think? You may have to cure it again, but I would think that is could be reusable. Man I hope things work out for you. I had a similar experience with a Sunbeam heating blanket. Fortunately I was home when it went haywire. When I contacted the Company to inform them of the potenial problem with their product, they were very concerned. They reimbursed me for the cost of three blankets that I owned (only one was bad) they also replaced my mattress and box spring (and neither were damaged, and I told them that), and sent me 3 new blankets of much higher quality than the ones I purchased. All I wanted them to know was that they may have a problem with one of their products. Sometimes it is just better to deal with the companies upfront and honest. Too many people today just jump up and get a laywer and sue.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to arizona reefer
wow. thats crazy. sorry to hear about your loss. well good luck with the insurance and thanks for the head up on that heater
arizona reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
I just wanted to add my condolences. That is every fish keeper's nightmare.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to luntiz
What type of lighting did you have? Are you sure it was the heater? I've read a lot about VHO "Waterproof" Endcaps that have caused fires of that magnitude.
The Tank

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks, thanks for all your support. Yes the heater was definitely the culprit. The Osyssea 500w aquarium heater. It is a digital thermostat unit which is comprised of 4 components. The piece that failed was the temperature control connector. FYI--this unit did not short out--It simply overheated enough to ignite the cabinet. The circuit breaker didn't kick until the water poured out the back. Incidentally the water extinguished the fire instantly before the 20 or so fireman even had a chance to figure out what was going on. Fortunately the fire was contained to the wall directly behind the tank but the smoke damage was tremendous. The whole office is covered in suit. I will contact the manufacturer if they can be located. "Made in China" It will be initially more so a courtesy call to make them aware of the unit failure. I doubt I will be sueing them myself. My insurance company will probably want me to subrogate as replacing the tank is probably just a fraction of the total cost for repair of my office. Re: luntiz comment--no it wasnt a vho issue, look at the pics closely, particularly the bottom right of the cabinet, fire travels up, not down. Additionally, LR was pulled immediately and hauled off to the LFS. The owner of the LFS was awakened by my wife at 3am. He was here in less than 10 minutes, laying the rock in his very new minivan right on the carpet, within 1/2 of getting access to the tank the LR was already sitting at the LFS holding tank. Those are the kinda people I like to do business with. Kudos to him, The LR was the ONLY thing that appears to have been salvaged from this mishap.

Anyway--Thanks again for all your comments, Please--get those heaters out of your tanks and off the shelves of the LFS. Also note that the cause of this fire was determined with immediate conviction by the local fire & arson investigator who has appeared on national telvision shows for his expertise in his field. Upon close inspection it's a no brainer what started the fire.
jeffw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
Kudos to your LFS guy indeed!

Although I've never heard of this brand of heater and I'm not even sure they are available in this country, I will definitely be telling my LFS about this.

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, fire, heater, loss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com