Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Additionally, LR was pulled immediately and hauled off to the LFS. The owner of the LFS was awakened by my wife at 3am. He was here in less than 10 minutes, laying the rock in his very new minivan right on the carpet, within 1/2 of getting access to the tank the LR was already sitting at the LFS holding tank. Those are the kinda people I like to do business with. Kudos to him, The LR was the ONLY thing that appears to have been salvaged from this mishap.
Yes some very serius kudos to him.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would a GFI inline stop or lesson the chance of short circuit fire? 35$ is not bad in heine site. Hoping to help to save others from this....Hammer

Old 08-04-2004, 11:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for your loss. Wished I could help out. Almost had a fire myself the other night. I was doing some work in my sump and noticed a smell. found that my light plug was melted and almost shorting out. When you get ready to start putting your tank back together let us know. Might not be able to help much but at the very least drop some ls (full of pods) to you.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:16 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know what good if any a GFCI would have done. They sense an imbalance of a sort in the current. Where as this seems to be a case of "overcurrent".....heat is generated by current and basically how a heater works anyway. Circuit breaker should have caught that if it was over current. If it was a short caused by overheating of the heater then GFCI may not have caught it in time since it is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. It senses a ground fault and not neccesarily a shorted circuit. Now maybe an ARC fault interrupter may have been better at that, who knows?

Electricty can be a good thing but, it can also be very destructive. I teach all my new electricians to "respect it" but don't be afraid of it. It's a tool.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:36 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Jeff, what LFS do you go to?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:08 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
yeah im really sorry 2. but im wondering how the heater caught the cabneton fire? because is the heater in the tank or in the cabnet? because if it was in the tank the water woulda put it out. so i guess it was in the cabnet?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:12 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

krap101, read the post again. It wasn't the heating element that started it, it was the temperature control connector.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:40 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Hopefully things will be resolved soon and you will be on your way to mending your losses, both financially and emotionally. I am so sorry for your losses.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:25 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Circuit breakers protect the circuit from shorts and current overload, not from overheating of a unit on the circuit. . The control unit basically acted like a electric stove if you catch my drift. Eventually the circuit breaker tripped but only because 175g of water came pouring down on all the electronics under the tank.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Man, that picture sent a shiver down my spine. Sorry for your loss

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, fire, heater, loss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com