PLEASE READ!!! HEATER DEFECT--FIRE--TOTAL LOSS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffw85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please reconsider if you have an Odyssea 500w heater for your tank. My tempature control connecter started a fire under my 175g Oceanic tank that I got up and running about 6 weeks ago. The tank was doing great and happy fishes & corals. The fire burned the supporting cabinet and flames shooting up the back of the tank caused the glass to shatter due to the temp differential. 175+ gallons of water along with everything living was tidalwaved throughout my office. I'm still in shock as I received the call at 2:30 this am. I lost everything. Almost 7k invested so far not to mention my place of business is unusable for a couple weeks for repairs. I'm sure when the dust settles I'll be shedding many tears for my swimming buddies many of whom I had for years. Anyway--Get that heater out of your tank if you have one. They have a major liability situation on therir hands potentially now.

Sorry about that! I would be devistated. Hopefully your insurence will help with the costs. 7000.00 is a lot of coin. Good luck with the clean up and keep us posted on the project. Are you going to attemp another tank in the office?

I feel for you. I have never heard of the heater you mention? Where did you get it from?

I'm sorry for your loss.....that's horrible.

Have you called your insurance agent yet?

WHOA that is rough man what a beautiful tank it was too!

Glad nobody got hurt or burnt though... :( what a blow..........

Heater was bought at a LFS. Actually had two. The other I hadn't put in yet. Yes insurance will cover the loss. I sincerely hope to replace the tank. Thats the plan anyway, Too soon to tell

dont give up love for money. get another tank...stay in the hobby...keep your chin up. i couldnt feel worse for you

Hi jeffw85,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you for giving us the "heads up" about the Odyssea 500w heaters. I see them on eBay for $20.00 and they seem so much cheaper than the EBO-JAGER or the WON Brothers Pro Heat II. I guess Cheaper is NOT Better.

I have the Oceanic 175 Bowfront Reef Ready (work in process) and I had toyed with the idea of getting 2 of the Odyssea 500w. Back to the drawing board.

Off the topic: In the top picture, is that the Oceanic Reef Ready Sump Model 2 or Model 3?

Again, sorry about your loss.

Paul.

Man what a beautiful tank in the before picture. I hope you are able to get it back to that level again.

Glad to hear that isurence will help you out and that you are not giving up. Keep us posted on the progress! Lando

ACoS said:
so sorry to hear about this...

I got one word "SUE!" :wink:

Thats one of the problems now a days.

Im sure you have or will be in contact with the company who makes the heater and the controller. If they are not aware they should look at that model and possibly that batch of controllers to see if there is an overheating issue that could led to component failure and fire.

Back
Top Bottom