Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please, snails, stop torturing me!!

OK so this isn't a question thread, more of a vent, and maybe kind of funny, although not to me....I have 3 Astraea snails in my 10 gallon. They spend most of their time on the glass or LR, in various spots in the tank. They, like most snails, move, well.....like snails. Slowly. But I swear EVERY NIGHT as soon as the lights go off the snails magically appear right next to the powerheads and cause the powerheads to make this hugely annoying loud buzzing vibrating noise....right when I want to go to bed. And the tank is 10 ft from my bed. They don't go near the darned powerheads all day....ever.....just at night. It's so bad some nights I either have to stick my hands in there and move them (and because they're Astraeas I have to be careful as if they end up upside down the wrasse will have them for dinner) or unplug the powerhead, and then remember to plug it back in again in the morning.

They are snails. They are not too bright. But they sure do know how to drive me nuts!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

LOL that is funny...Have you thought about putting a timer on your powerhead and have it shut off automatically right about bedtime and come back on in the morning?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
LOL that is funny...Have you thought about putting a timer on your powerhead and have it shut off automatically right about bedtime and come back on in the morning?
tha'ts what I was gonna say too. Timers are cheap and worth far less than a good night's sleep!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's funny... I have some trochus that do the same thing with my Remora skimmer pump, but at least I don't sleep in the same room as my tank!

The snails will cozy up right next to the pump with their shells touching it, and the vibration of the pump will cause their shells to rattle hard against the glass. I can hear it 20 ft across the room. At first I thought they'd move away quickly as I can't imagine that would feel good on them. I mean... if the shell is vibrating that hard against the glass, imagine what it's doing to their bodies! But they'll stay up against that pump for 10-15 minutes at times. My wife and I now joke that maybe there's some type of self-gratification going on with it.

I'm like you though... when I'm finally tired of hearing the rattling, I go over and politely "shoo" them along to find somewhere else to play. That area of the tank has to be the cleanest spot around!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My wife and I now joke that maybe there's some type of self-gratification going on with it.
I had the same thought....it seems too frequent to be random. I have a lofted bedroom so I can hear them downstairs, too!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
magically appear right next to the powerheads and cause the powerheads to make this hugely annoying loud buzzing vibrating noise....right when I want to go to bed
OK, All Im going to say is this...Maybe the ladies are...um...'lonely'...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wasn't going to say it.....since this is a "family friendly forum", but yeah, well.....you said it.

Still, they're snails.......
Old 02-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

LOL!!! Those silly snail!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i use an empty penguin 330 as my powerhead, and my astrea are in there every morning when i wake up, they're active all day but apparently the sacred PH is only touchable at night

can you adjust your powerhead or raise water levels?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well at least I know that my snails aren't the only weird ones.....

Not sure what you mean by adjusting the PH or raising the water levels....the PHs are completely under the water, when the snails' shells touch the PH it vibrates but not totally sure if its the snail vibrating or the PH.....

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com