Please, snails, stop torturing me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK so this isn't a question thread, more of a vent, and maybe kind of funny, although not to me....I have 3 Astraea snails in my 10 gallon. They spend most of their time on the glass or LR, in various spots in the tank. They, like most snails, move, well.....like snails. Slowly. But I swear EVERY NIGHT as soon as the lights go off the snails magically appear right next to the powerheads and cause the powerheads to make this hugely annoying loud buzzing vibrating noise....right when I want to go to bed. And the tank is 10 ft from my bed. They don't go near the darned powerheads all day....ever.....just at night. It's so bad some nights I either have to stick my hands in there and move them (and because they're Astraeas I have to be careful as if they end up upside down the wrasse will have them for dinner) or unplug the powerhead, and then remember to plug it back in again in the morning.

They are snails. They are not too bright. But they sure do know how to drive me nuts!

LOL that is funny...Have you thought about putting a timer on your powerhead and have it shut off automatically right about bedtime and come back on in the morning?

Ziggy953 said:
LOL that is funny...Have you thought about putting a timer on your powerhead and have it shut off automatically right about bedtime and come back on in the morning?
tha'ts what I was gonna say too. Timers are cheap and worth far less than a good night's sleep!

That's funny... I have some trochus that do the same thing with my Remora skimmer pump, but at least I don't sleep in the same room as my tank!

The snails will cozy up right next to the pump with their shells touching it, and the vibration of the pump will cause their shells to rattle hard against the glass. I can hear it 20 ft across the room. At first I thought they'd move away quickly as I can't imagine that would feel good on them. I mean... if the shell is vibrating that hard against the glass, imagine what it's doing to their bodies! But they'll stay up against that pump for 10-15 minutes at times. My wife and I now joke that maybe there's some type of self-gratification going on with it.

I'm like you though... when I'm finally tired of hearing the rattling, I go over and politely "shoo" them along to find somewhere else to play. That area of the tank has to be the cleanest spot around!

My wife and I now joke that maybe there's some type of self-gratification going on with it.

I had the same thought....it seems too frequent to be random. I have a lofted bedroom so I can hear them downstairs, too!

magically appear right next to the powerheads and cause the powerheads to make this hugely annoying loud buzzing vibrating noise....right when I want to go to bed

OK, All Im going to say is this...Maybe the ladies are...um...'lonely'...

I wasn't going to say it.....since this is a "family friendly forum", but yeah, well.....you said it.

Still, they're snails.......

i use an empty penguin 330 as my powerhead, and my astrea are in there every morning when i wake up, they're active all day but apparently the sacred PH is only touchable at night

can you adjust your powerhead or raise water levels?

Well at least I know that my snails aren't the only weird ones.....

Not sure what you mean by adjusting the PH or raising the water levels....the PHs are completely under the water, when the snails' shells touch the PH it vibrates but not totally sure if its the snail vibrating or the PH.....

Back
Top Bottom