Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-21-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Please suggest appropriate algae pack !

I was just reading Brisc0's topic about his proposed algae pack and it blew me away 8O I had no idea people added so many snails and crabs to their tanks. I've got a 55g FOWLR with approx 50lbs LR and 80lbs LS. Can someone suggest an appropriate algae pack for this setup ? I'm so surprised at Brisc0's numbers that I can't begin to give my own estimate. (No offence Brisc0 - you may well be correct )

p.s. At what point is is a good idea to add some cool shrimp ?

BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Best idea is to get the most diverse clean up crew as you can. Different critters will eat different types of algae so it if you get many different types it will be more effective. I would just add small amounts at a time until you reach what you find to work best for your tank. Maybe start with 20 snails and 20 hermits and maybe a cleaner/blood/peppermint shrimp or two and then see if you need many more.

saltcreep1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I was shocked myself and couldn't believe that I needed that many creatures, however the further I dig the same "standard" (if such a thing exist in marine aquaria) keeps poping up in the articles. 1 micro/small hermit per gallon and one snail per gallon (some exceptions i.e. the Albone which requires 1 per 5 gallons) I myself love the idea of being able to house that many critters, if they prove to clean everything up and then run out of grub i'll pawn them off on my LFS for credit. I imagine that 100lbs of substrate and 150 lbs of live rock will keep em busy for a while.
Here are some packs I have found online that support a pretty heafty load:
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Very cool - I also like the idea of having a multitude of critters in the tank. Makes it all the more interesting to watch

60G Freshwater - not planted
Rena Filstar XP2 Canister Filter
2" Gravel substrate
10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com