Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

R-200

I have the R-200 sump and I'm very happy with it. I know they're easy enough to make, but I really didn't want to go through the learning curve on my fuge and I got a decent deal on ebay for $179.00 w/free shipping.

One thing i don't use is the sock. This is my first sump, but I've read a number of articles that state the sock can become a nitrate trap. I'd rather have the detritus stay in motion, so it can be pulled out by the skimmer. Plus.....it's another thing that needs constant maintenance, which I'd rather not add to the list. so I've heard/read anyway. Again...I have no actual experience with the sock causing nitrate problems.

I just have flex tubing running to the bottom of the first compartment, so I don't have the noise of water splashing of course.

It's a decent product that keeps my nitrates at 0, which is what i bought it for. I will however say that it's not nearly as pristine looking as FDShoes fuge. Props to you on that picture perfect fuge. wow....it's like an ad!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also have the R200. I use the socks and change them out 2 maybe 3 times a week. takes like 3 minutes. lol Havent had any issues with using it so I'd recommend using one. Youd be amazed at all the gunk that can build up in there, I'd rather catch it and remove it than cycle it through the tank.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carey definitely has more experience than i, so guess you could go either way. Whatever works best for you.

In my case, it would be a royal pain to change the sock that often because I have a octopus 150 skimmer squeezed in there and it's a tight fit. Maneuvering that bracket would be cumbersome to say the least.

That's one big plus to building your own........being able to decide how big each compartment needs to be for your setup! That's huge.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I bought myself the aqueon sump and really like it. It did what I wanted and fit my lack of time to do anything. Next on my list is a refridge...I have room for it in my aqueon...but am thinking about building a new setup for my tank that is big enough for everything to fit inside and plumb it all nicely with PVC, and this would give me room for a long tank for a fuge...have yet to sit down and design it. But this would fit all my wants and give me a reason to get a bigger tank too.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I also have the R200. I use the socks and change them out 2 maybe 3 times a week. takes like 3 minutes. lol Havent had any issues with using it so I'd recommend using one. Youd be amazed at all the gunk that can build up in there, I'd rather catch it and remove it than cycle it through the tank.
Woah you change out your sock multiple times a WEEK?!?!

[moderator edit] I rinse mine once a week, run it through the wash with bleach about once a month (then again with no bleach, obviosuly, to clear it off), and alternate socks monthly...
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have two setups with socks right now and have about 10 of them so I go through them all and then run them through the wash with no bleach.

So far my 90g has not had to have a sock change yet, its still too new. lol
Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are many different ways to do some mechanical filtration, i guess its what works best for you. Ive got pieces of filter foam and wedge in first section of bubbletrap. Clean and replace once a week. Luckily have not shown any nitrates after a year.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com