Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

pls check my stocking list

Having my fish in a hospital tank gives me an opportunity to rethink my stocking list for the main tank, and I would love feedback before I finalize it. I currently have three clowns and two bangaii cardinals and I think I'll only keep one cardinal and bring the rest back to the LFS when they're done with hypo. I do want one clown, but I want to add him (or her) last since they're not so friendly.

Would this group work in a 55 gallon tank, are they all reef safe, and is this the right order to add them??

bangaii cardinal (already have, in hospital tank)
yellow coris (picked up yesterday, in QT for next 3-4 weeks)
green mandarin*
royal gramma
flame hawkfish
ocellaris clown

*I'm considering adding a mandarin and would love to hear from anyone who has successfully been able to keep one. All I see when searching on this forum and others are warnings and failures, but there must also be some success stories?? Any suggestions for a successful quarantine period? And I know some wrasses will compete with the mandarin for pods, is this true of the coris?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ok I see two things. 1) I see the mandarin which I`m wondering will be able to get enough pods. You might want to ask the LFS if he has one that is eating prepared foods. That way you dont have to worry about it starving to death. 2) The hawkfish is coral safe but not invert safe. Any shrimp, crabs and other inverts will not be safe. He will definitely outcompete the mandarin for pods. Just my observations.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I knew the hawkfish wasn't okay with shrimp and I don't currenly have any. I didn't know about the crabs though. I have a bunch of hermits, one large sally lightfoot and one large emerald. Would the hawkfish bother them?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooju View Post
I didn't know about the crabs though. I have a bunch of hermits, one large sally lightfoot and one large emerald. Would the hawkfish bother them?
Most definitely IMO and IME. Esp. the crabs with no shell protection.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would a six line wrasse and a yellow coris get along? My list would look like this (added in this order):

bangaii cardinal
yellow coris
royal gramma
six line wrasse
false perc clown

EDIT: liveaquaria has the blue chromis right now - they say peaceful, any dissenting opinions?

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com