Plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncwalley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before I start getting pipes and what not, I need to know all the handy safeguards to keep my floor from getting flooded with water. My wife hates that. My biggest question isn't about the power going off since I plan on having a big enough bucket to hold the backflow, but what happens if I lose my siphon for some reason. What keeps my pump from emptying my sump and overflowing my display? There has to be some trick besides keeping your water low enough to handle the extra volume. Thanks.

i know, revhtree.... but in a amaller tank you dotn always have to have sump,

plus all that water and pumps and pipes jsut make s me nervous

:p and someone please help uncwalley :p

You can get a pressure switch from CoralVue that will cut off the pump when the water in the sump drops to a certain level. There is no way to guarantee that you won't lose the siphon although, if it's set up properly, it's rare for it to happen.

float switch

I understand your concerns perfectly.

I installed a float switch in the sump. If the siphon stops for any reason (snail, whatever...), the sump pump will continue to pump water into the display tank. This causes the water level in the sump to drop. (water leaves sump, but isn't coming back)

The lower water level in the sump triggers the float switch which cuts power to the sump pump before the aquarium overflows.

So far, the siphon (CPR) has never failed...but I sleep better.

It has also turned out to be a safeguard in the event that my fresh water replenishment pump fails. Within 8 hours, I've lost so much to evaporation that it triggers the low sump level switch.

Or seal off the pump in its own compartment. If the siphon breaks, only the pump compartment empties.

Back
Top Bottom