plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a new Aqua-C skimmer from darin at captivereefs (another great job by him) and have to change my plumbing around to get it into my sump

I have never done anything like this before to a fish tank that is up and running so i have a few quick questions...

1) it's okay to use the cement/glue/appoxy stuff that holds together PVC right?

2) how long do I have to wait after using that stuff before i can allow my tank water to flow through the piping again?

TIA!

I think that pvc glue sets up in a few minutes, but fully cures in 2 hours. I would give it more time than that, just to be safe. And rinse it well

eeeek!!!! I would not use it before 24 hours, as a general rule. That stuff is super toxic, so you should let it set a good while and rinse it very thoroughly before exposing it to your precious tank water. Safety first. That's just how I do it. Couple of hours might be fine, but I'll take a 24 hour wait over a wasted 2 years anyday.

ya I was wondering also about that, there is also aquarium safe silicon caulk that would wroka s well I would assume especially since there will never be any real pressure built up behind it it will seek the path it is supposed to you just want a good seal so it doesn;t leak

I have been using PVC glue on tanks for years. I have run water through the lines in as little as 30 minutes after putting them together and have never had a problem. If you want a glue that sets faster, get the blue PVC glue...it's usually called Rain'R'Shine and will set very quickly. Be sure you have the piping the way you want it though because once you put them together with this glue, they aren't coming back apart. I usually use the clear medium PVC glue on white or gray PVC. If you happen to be using any CPVC (the tan colored pipe), get the orange glue as it's formulated to work with this pipe better. If you do use the blue glue, be sure you are in a well ventilated area or you'll have a buzz followed by a headache. I wouldn't trust silicone on PVC...it might work, but the glue is much better.

agree with loganj have glued and pumped water within less than an hour with no issues !! it sets fast !

different pvc glue sets (and is fully ready) in different times. Just be sure to read the can and follow directions.

I second the ventilation part. You will smell the vapors for a while if you glue it in your house. Get the fans out.

Back
Top Bottom