Plumbing Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a currently a 33 gal long tank with a 20 gal long sump.

My HOB overflow box has a 1 1/4" drain ...which I reduced to 3/4" PVC pipe into my sumps intake chamber.

My Mag7 pump is also returning water to the tank via 3/4" PVC pipe

Question is:
1- Should I use 1" pipe instead of 3/4" PVC?
2- Should I use flex tubing instead of rigid PVC?
3- Can I use a "T" in the return side to create 2 different returns inside the tank for movement?
4- Will the t restrict the pump?

TIA

1) not a bad idea but if you do go with a t ya prob wont need it :)
2) on the return ? up to you honestly
3) yes
4) yes prob by 20-30 %

I have flex tubing on both my tanks and love it. Very easy install and have no problems. I have my return T and have them in each corner on my 125 I used a U-return that just hangs on the tank and has a diverter on the tank end. Amiracle sells them. Just slide the hose over them and add a clamp and your done.
I have 1 return in my 55 and I have it in the middle so it blows the water against the front of the tank and it then flows in both directions after deflection off the glass.

JoeA said:
1- Should I use 1" pipe instead of 3/4" PVC?

I would use the 1" pipe. It will offer less resistance and will be less likely to clog if a snail or hermit decides to take a trip to the sump.

2- Should I use flex tubing instead of rigid PVC?

Matter of personal preference...I like rigid PVC better. The fittings are not as restrictive and I feel like there is less chance of developing a leak as long as the PVC is properly glued. I also think it looks better (like it matters as long as it works :roll: )
3- Can I use a "T" in the return side to create 2 different returns inside the tank for movement?

Yes you can.

4- Will the t restrict the pump?

Yes, it will. You can add one foot of head for the tee. Also add one foot of head for each elbow in the system. This is a drawback to PVC since you need more fittings as opposed to flex. The fittings are less restrictive though. Eg: If you have 2 ells and one tee, and you're pumping to a total height of 3', then your effective head height is 6'. That will put you in the ballpark on figuring the flow for your pump.

I use 1" flexible tubing for the overflow line, and I think the bigger the better for the overflow line. The concern is that nothing should ever be able to clog this line.

The only other advice I would give is to consider using a SQWD, instead of a "T" on the return. Both would give you two points of water return, but the SQWD would alternate the flow between the two..which most would agree is better.

I'm using 3/4" black vinyl flex on my return (1.25" rigid PVC for the overflow and drain). If you do use flex, USE hose clamps. Tighten them, but not overly tight (as that will crack whatever they're attached to). Prevents less wet messes.

Back
Top Bottom