Plumbing dumb question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok. I think this is a dumb question on plumbing but I searched on the internet and couldn't figure it out.

How can you have a main tank setup with tanks attached to it (say in a fishroom behind a main tank) for which the other non-sump tanks water lines are below and above the main tanks water line?

I can't wrap my head around how it is done from a plumbing and pumping perspective. I understand how sumps regulate water levels through the overflows and a check valve for power outages but have never done a set up like this before.

Any internet sites/articles that would help out would be great. Thanks in advance.

Anything is possible, all depends on how much money you want to throw at the project. Check valves are a quick and cheap way to go, but depending on how far the pipework runs and the level differences, you may end up with a fair amount of water from the lines draining back to your sump or tank. An ideal way would be to have a solenoid valve similar to what is used in Dishwashers or washing machines. Have the valve rigged up so it is open when the power is on, shut if no power is supplied. Put the valves in the correct places and hopefully no problems.
Unfortunately, it could be another piece of equipment that could fail, like anything related to plumbing and electrical.

Good Luck.

Ok thanks. I've read a few build posts and they talk a lot a lot solenoid valves as well, I'll look into those.

Back
Top Bottom