Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2004, 04:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Yeah, I mean to put a cone type plastic filter on the end, or I can just drill the pipe like you said! Here is rough pic of what I'm thinking, except the piping will go behind the aqurium instead of around the sides

Does this look good, any suggested changes?

Old 01-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea that would work !! id go with the drilled pipe my self its easy !!

i did the same thing but set up the returns to run under the sand and then up each corner of the tank with a bunch of holes !! mixes the water alot better than a ph in the corner of the tank if ya ask me

Old 01-04-2004, 10:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will I need to put ball valves anywhere or anything, I'm guessing equal water will not go from the scwd to each output but I guess that won't really matter huh?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

never used a scwd but from what i gather all it does is switch from one side to another so id guess ya gonna get 100% flow to the left then a few min all to the right !!! ball valves are up to you imo
Old 01-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
For the two dollar price of a ball valve I would stick one somewhere. Even for the unlikely event that one of your seals in your plumbing springs a leak, a fast shutoff is good peice of mind.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

My other concern is that most of the water will exit the top outputs and barely any will reach the bottom outputs on each side. Do you think this will be a concern?

My last question is, how should I face these 4 outputs? My return from teh sump is in the top left corner and faces the middle of the front of the tank and aggitates the surgace pretty well.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:23 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ball valves and true unions. The true unions are a little expensive but if you ahve to change out parts its better than having to saw the PVC in half and then having to join the PVC back with a coupler.

You could put 1 return in the front corners and 1 return in the right back corner and another return right in the middle. You could position them so they returned at different heights or different angles.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks fishfreek, I do have unions and ball valves on both sides of the pump in case I need to remove anything as well as flapper valves in case of power outage.

Tags
circulation, circulation pump, plumbing, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com