Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

nice

Old 04-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
I think tonight I am going to try a different approach.
Since I have all the pvc and tools etc I could ever want atm, I am going to take out the whole deal off the return and install a simple 3/4" tube capped at the end, with a bunch of 1/8 or 3/16 (or varied) holes put through it at all sorts of angles...

The problem with the two V's is the end one gets far less pressure (of course) so it might be somewhat imbalanced in the tank atm... I'll post again later after I hopefully don't drill a hole through my hand in the process (why oh why did I not buy that drill press!)

Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, 3 ft of pvc, one endcap and a new drill press (I like new toys!) later, I have a perforated pipe coming out of the overflow istead of those fans..
25 holes shooting forward, about 20 down at an angle and about 10 backwards to the glass.
Holes are 3/16th, using a 3/4" set of pvc stuff (male adaptor, pipe and cap).

All in all I think it's far better then the original things that came with the overflow (fans on loc-line) and certainly better then me attempting to make one V two V's.
The surface agitation is awesome... the whole top is rippling very nicely.
The whole tank is rolling, but the current isn't so strong that the fish are riding the current...

Tonight's adventure will be getting a new piece of pipe made so that there are less forward firing holes, but adding 1/8th holes in at angles to give a more varied current and hopefully make sure all the tank is covered (mix it up a bit!)
Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so do you get good flow out of the holes on the end of the pipe as you do at the beginning?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup, flow seems to be fairly well distributed... much much more so then have the 2 V's (even with a ball valve mostly shut on the first V).
I imagine once I make the new pipe tonight with the varied holes and angles, the flow will be close to perfect without any unsightly powerheads.

Of course, I'm using a mag12 to push all the water, so that helps heh
(no need for a heater in the tank with that big pump).
Temp stays at a fairly constant 77 degrees, with it cooling off by about half a degree at night due to no lights.

Tags
flow, megaflow, overflow, plumbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com