Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
plumbing question

I just put in a 5 gallon fuge over my tank. The fuge has a mj1200 pumping water into it thru a 1/2 bulkhead 2 feet up. The drain is a 3/4" stand pipe gravity fed back to the tank. The drain is putting a LARGE amount of bubbles into the tank. Could this be because the the powerhead is pumping in too much water into the small tank. the water coming back into the main tank seems like it is moving too fast thru the fuge. Any suggestions or ideas to stop the bubbles. i have to buy a new powerhead anyway should i slow down the flow or do i have to change the plumbing

rbarb1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
The problem is that the overflow back to the tank is encorporating air into the water as it returns to the main tank. You have to allow that air to escape somehow. After the overflow comes out of the fuge you could add a jog up to the level of the top of the fuge, over a couple of inches, and then back down to the tank. Just instead of 3/4 inch 90's at the top of the jogs, put 3/4 inch Tee's with the top open. That should allow the bubbles to gas off.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com