Plumbing question for sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earlysteven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have 1/2 in PVC for my out take from my sump back to my aquarium should I go bigger or stick with the same size. Second question is my overflow is on the left side of my aquarium should I have my return in the middle or on the right side pushing water back towards the overflow. I have a 150 gallon aquarium. And if I have my return in the middle it will have a splitter.

That label doesn't give a flow rating but I run my 150 at @ 1000-1100 gph and I use 3/4 inch for my returns, but my tank is pre-drilled, my sump is now in the basement but when it was under the tank I ran a quiet one 6000 pump that was split into two 3/4's

It's 250-700 all there pumps look the same of course lol and ya I was thinking of soon 3/4

Ok what do I need to be running for future reference and not outrageous priced lol

First I would change out the bio-balls for liverock or liverock rubble it does a better job of culturing beneficial bacteria, more rock in the display would be good as well, standard recommendation is usually 1-1.5 lbs per gallon, as far as flow there. Are differing opinions when there is a refugium section involved, some people stick to 10x turnover and some people slow it down to @ 4x turnover in the belief that it gives the macro algae more time to "scrub" the water and just make up the flow with powerheads in the tank, which leads to another question, what is your ultimate goal with this tank, will be a reef or a fish only tank?

I plan on ordering a lot of base rock at the end of the month and the live rock will replace the bio balls in the sump hmm I like. I'm hoping to be a reef tank but it will be awhile before I even start adding reef I want everything else in order.

Also if that's caulerpa algae in your fuge, google caulerpa going sexual, I don't know which type of caulerpa it is but it has something to do with lighting, but what little I've heard is that if it goes sexual ( guessing for reproduction) that it can be a toxic event that can wipe out an entire system, I use chaeto myself so I've never felt the need to read up on it in depth

Caulerpa it is indeed I've never heard about them going sexual . My lfs guy uses it so figured I would give it a shot it's Ben real easy to keep alive . How hard is it to keep the plant you mentioned alive any special needs?

I have researched into the rock for days and Carey on here found me some base rock for 60 bucks for 45 pounds

I use a clip on shop light with an led bulb but that's kinda overkill most people just do the clip on light with a cfl bulb @ 6700k

Back
Top Bottom