Plz help new to saltwater and off to bad start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatdaddy82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the saltwater hobby i've been in fresh along time so i started this new tank with a almost baby powder type live sand and was told there was mo need to wash the sand so its now 4days later and my tank looks like the s word i have white milky water with this fine powder film all over everything its making me crazy i try to clean the glass but the movement seems to make the tank just as cloudy as day one i need help plz plz i put in to much time and money to quit now but its starting to change my mind

There are additives you can add to make it precipitate out of the water. Kent makes one. Over time your filters will get the majority of it out.

And what brand is this (baby powder) sand you bought. What filtration are you running and do you have a skimmer?

I think the sand is called aragonite tank is a 56gal column tank filter is a fuval for a 150 gal and pumps water at 300gps not sure of the brand

Use something like this.

ForumRunner_20130514_213509.jpg

Keep running your filter (make sure you rinse out whatever pads you have) and it will clear up in a few more days to a week.
Argonite sand needs to be rinsed, basically most do other than live sand.

Thanx guys for all the help my tank is looking great hats off to all of you

Changing your filter floss frequently during the setup stage will help reduce the suspended silt in your tank. Using a clarity additive will help too.

Back
Top Bottom