PO4 headache

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, First off tank is 100g, 130 total volume. I have a steady PO4 of .1 The salifert kit and redsea kit confirm it. I have had this problem for the life of my tank. At first it was .2, the I introduced phosguard and its stable at .1. I want it to be non detect but can't figure out where its coming from.
I top off with RO/DI that tests 0 for PO4 on multiple kits
I only dose B-ionic
I just started feeding fish (only have one clown, feed on Sunday and Thursday very lightly after pre-soaking food)
I add DTs (sunday and thurday during the day, tuesday and saturday at night, don't ask why its just habbit :) I have only been adding that for two weeks anyhow.
I run GAC 24/7 in sump and have an EV-120 skimmer.
There are no visible algae blooms anywhere but the fuge and they are small even in there. I have prolific calurpa growth (fern, grape, and sawblade)

Okay, thats hopefully enough info to get some advice on what the source of this stuff might be. I am frustrated to the max! Thanks everyone.

I run GAC 24/7 in sump

What kind of carbon? All GAC will leach carbon, some leach more than others. I'm not nuts about phosgard, it is an alluminum compound, I would suggest ROWAphos, for removal and topping off with kalk to precipitate any additional PO4

Im using black diamond carbon. As far as the phosguard goes I plan on switching brands soon, however its the only thing I can get here locally ATM. I was planning on ordering some Phoszorb as I heard it was more safe than guard. I will look into ROWA. As far as kalk goes, I have not used any kalk products before and don't particularly understand it yet. I was not aware that it helped with phosphate. I will look into that as well. Thanks as always Kevin, much appreciated.

I know that when fed too much in my tank, it causes a diatom bloom, can this also affect your PO3?

Yep, most foods will contain POH, in an organic form at the very least. The reason I wouldn't attribute this problem to the feeding (yet) is the time frame, he has had a chronic PO4 problem and just recently has he started adding foods.

Exactly. I am only planning on adding DT's for about four more weeks regularly as well. My fuge should be mature enough by then to handle the phyto supply with only a few DT boosts a month for good messure. I posted recently about suspended particles in my tank, which I think is a combo of household dust mixed with the stirring the sandbed critters do. If household dust is in the tank could it be a factor in PO4? If so would you recommend a canister with micron pad? I have a sponge on my return pump and powerheads, but thats about it, they are not fine micron sponges. Guess I could also run my phos remover and carbon in it. Im just shooting at stars right now. I did my 10% weekly change just now, but that hasn't helped it in the past. My PO4 remover is only getting about 250GPH through it max, could that be an issue? Thanks again, I greatly appreciate your efforts.

I posted recently about suspended particles in my tank, which I think is a combo of household dust mixed with the stirring the sandbed critters do. If household dust is in the tank could it be a factor in PO4?

The sandbed could be binding PO4 and releasing it as it's disturbed, but in such a new tank, I don't find it likely, the dust...I don't thinks so, but that is just a guess, and not an educated one either, LOL.

My PO4 remover is only getting about 250GPH through it max, could that be an issue?

Depends on the source of the PO4, but again I don't think so. Try testing your carbon, add one or two grains to RODI water in the test vial and do the test, if you see a trail of colorchange coming from the carbon, you know it's leaching PO4. How often do you change the Phosgard? With a high level, it may just need to be changed often to remove the initial high level of PO4.

When I have my filter cartridge in my Emperor 400, I found my PO4 is always high. I have to clean it every other day. Now, I remove it altogether and it took care of the PO4 problem.

Back
Top Bottom