Pod Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apache58

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK well im pretty sure thats what those little guys are called, the little creatures you can barely see that are swimming around in there. I just added a few snails and crabs and two sand sifting stars to my tank and with it the water they came in from my LFS. there was a lot of them at first but since my first water change a lot have dissapeared which seems unavoidable but how fast do these things repopulate, am i slowly eliminating them with water changes? and lastly what advantages do they have within a tank?

two sand sifting stars
There is most likely the reason. They will clean them out in a hurry. Pods will sift your sand which helps keep it clean, plus they are a natural food source for some fish.
Just saw you have a 20 gallon, I would take the stars back to the LFS. They will starve in your system.IMO

Sorry to Hijack. I have 2 sandsifting stars in my 225. WIll they starve. I have a 1.5" sand bed and about 400lbs of rock.

Lets put it this way. I have a similar size tank and had 2. One of them did starve after about a year and my pod population that was once thriving is now almost nothing.
For the sake of my sand bed (and my scooter), I took the other one back.
I would watch your pod population real close.
They were the only stars I had that never took to target feeding.

Back
Top Bottom