Pods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know they're not required for a successful tank, but can they be kept successfully in a nano w/ no fuge (and two clowns)? Or will the clowns decimate the population in the blink of an eye?

I'm looking down the road here for when I start up w/ corals, it'd be nice to have some pods for them.

i picked up about 8 lbs of live rock for my nano in the end of august. now that everything is moved to my 29, including my clownfish, i still see hundreds of little pods on the glass and a few larger ones roaming my rock work. i see the clown nipping at the rocks, but i still have a ton of pods. its only been about a week since i added the clown from qt but i will let you know how my pod population goes

My rock was dry rock from BRS, so no pods for me.

I can get some from pods my LFS, but I want to make sure they won't be knocked out before they can start reproducing.

You'll be fine. Clowns may pick at rock for them occasionally but they won't actively hunt for pods like other fish.

Do corals like duncans, xenias, zoas, etc (ie, good nano corals) eat them? If not, i'm not going to waste my time or money on the pods.

Do corals like duncans, xenias, zoas, etc (ie, good nano corals) eat them? If not, i'm not going to waste my time or money on the pods.

Nope they don't, I've never seen my zoas or duncan eat a copepod or amphipod. They may catch an occasional one but that would be very rare.

Wrasses will wipe out a pod population in a few days. They are far more efficient pod hunters than most other fish.

You aren't kidding..... I had an awesome pod population in my 28 with just my clown, but once I added my six-line, they were gone within a few days. That was one very fat & happy wrasse. :rolleyes:

It's a mistake made by many that try to raise dragonettes (mandarins). Wrasses are far faster hunters than dragonettes are, so one of them starves and it's not the wrasses. It takes some work to raise enough pods for even one dragonette.

Back
Top Bottom