Pods are in the house!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was changing my polyfilter tonight, as usual it had quite a few of these little guys in it. Shot a quick pic, seen many posts asking what pods look like.
When I returned them to the tank, my fish chowed them before they hit the bottom.

So you guys pay for these? I have about a gazillion across the street from my house. I didnt think that what I was finding was pods. wow im gonna be rich

Yes, some of us have to buy pods. I recently set up a 75 gal and I am waiting for the pods to reproduce to help with filtration. I propably have some, but can't see many yet. I saw a couple when I added some lr and ls, Just waiting

Where do you buy pods as I was told you cant buy them from the LFS? What do you ask for when trying to buy them?

There are some websites that sell detravore kits that will have some pods in them. If you have live rock I would be suprised that you dont have any. About an hour after your lights go out use a flashlight and start looking around your tank on the substrate and the rock. You should see all kinds of things in your tank that you didnt know about.

Quarryshark, thanks for adding that photo to the photogallery also. More misc inverts that can be found in yoru tank after lights out can be seen here.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=515

I had panicked lately and was going to plop down a lot of money for a lot of Pods because I have a Mandarin in a 6 month old tank and did not want him to starve. Then by luck I took a look at the tank well after lights out and I thought one of my ph had fallen because the sand was blowing everywhere. When I realized it was not the ph I went back and saw it was thousands of little pods running and playing and frolicing about. They did not seem to notice or care that Manny was hovering over them having dinner on their little friends. After that, my worries went away.

fishfreek said:
P.S. They feel really strange crawling all over your hand.

And the amphipods, the big hunched-over c-shaped ones, are strong and springy in your hand! I pick em out of my gac filters and throw them back in for mandarin and they spring around and squirm around.

:D

Well I guess I need to find a way of collecting them and Ill give you guys all that you want. Youd be blown away if you saw the numbers if I turn over a rock at my house there are so many.

Shout, I get the flashlight out every night to see if I can see any. I set the fuge up for pods mainly to support my mandarin. I never saw a one but the mandarin has been doing well and it not skinny ever since I removed him from the QT. It has been about 6 months now in the display tank..

I bought a "bug pack" from a LFS to help my fuge out and I now see a few mysis shrimp swimming in the fuge but nothing like everyone talks about.

I am jealous. If anyone needs to unload any, let me know :)

Well I guess I need to find a way of collecting them and Ill give you guys all that you want. Youd be blown away if you saw the numbers if I turn over a rock at my house there are so many.

You live in a saltwater marsh? I dont see how they could be under your rocks unless you lived in a marsh area where the ground was always wet.

I live in Florida on the interacostal so theres tides and boat wake, the water where the rocks are is always wet. The rocks kinda make little depresions and the deep parts are under the water level so they stay full of water. There are also grass beds right offshore that I can drag a net and pull up tons of pods, ghost shrimp and baby nassiriass(sp) snails.

Those little snails aren't nassarius. At least I don't think they are? Had some with that calupera we collected. BTW these big feather dusteres aren't doing to great if you want to come get them let me know.

Back
Top Bottom