Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pods without a fuge

I've done some reading and have seen that pods can be successfully established without a fuge. My question is do I need true uv lights led/t5 etc for this to work or can I get away with just using the aqueon full spectrum light that I have now. I plan on getting some LEDs very soon but I want a dragonet soon also and know that if I'm going to have any success with the pods and no fuge that I need to get them established in the dt before I get the dragonet

Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can establish pods anywhere, but the reason for a refugium for pods is providing then a safe place to reproduce. Mandarins consume a ton of pods and can destroy an entire population in a day. You would need a large tank in the 100 gallon range full of pods for this to work IMO. And that would be with one dragonette.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

From what I read you just need some small piles of chunked live rock, a place for the pods to hide where the dragonet couldn't get to them. But more importantly to my previous question, would they be fine or thrive without LEDs or t5s
Old 10-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Light doesn't matter. And I've read that about rock piles, but I've watched my mandarin pick through my piles without much issue.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ahh good to know thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

To think outside the box, even a torn apart HOB filter would work with some rock rubble or growing macro algae to provide a safe haven for them.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a puffer and damsel in the tank currently, would I be able try to establish pods in the tank now or do you think the current fish eat them
Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah those guys don't care about pods.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

A damsel will decimate a pod population just the same, watch them. As they pick constantly at any passing particle from the water column, they will keep the populations to a minimum. Just one cardinal in my fuge was able to clean it free of all visible pods of many kinds. A predator free fuge or main tank is the only way to give the buggers plenty of room to grow into swarming clouds of tasty live treats....
Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt think of adding a mandarin to a tank with a puffer and damsel. The dragonettes are somewhat hardy but I think a damsel might be too too much for it. My mandarin is constantly hunting, every single minute of the day. Rock in the DT wont be enough to keep a pod colony going for a mandarin.

BUT if you get an ORA mandarin you have a better shot at it eating prepared foods. My ORA one did not eat pellets or flakes or anything but pods though, at least for the first month. Thats where the pods and fuge came into lay. If I hadnt had the refugium set up I guarantee the mandarin would have starved in the month that it took me to get her eating prepared foods. They can decimate an entire pod colony in days, they do nothing but hunt and eat all day/

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com