Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

that will help to spread the weight, but the question still remains if that would be enough. I'm rooting for you, but make sure you get some sound advice before proceeding.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to exodus
It would also be ~4' from the outside wall if that makes any difference.

lots of fish.
Royal pleco!!

10g Freshwater - Fake plants/PFS -
Breeding pair of convict cichlids purchased from the LFS I work at for $1.25
(best part is that I have a place to get rid of the fry!)
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That will make a big difference on the joints I believe. IMO I wouldnt do it, but Im no contractor either. Hopefully someone can get you some solid info.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to exodus
Ok, so a 55 is looking out of the question. How about a 37?

lots of fish.
Royal pleco!!

10g Freshwater - Fake plants/PFS -
Breeding pair of convict cichlids purchased from the LFS I work at for $1.25
(best part is that I have a place to get rid of the fry!)
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My general rule for the overall weight of the tank is the tanks' volume x 10. That will give your approximate overall system weight in pounds.

Water weighs approximately 8 lbs per gallon, and by the time you factor in the weight of the equipment/stand/tank.....you'll be up around 370 - 400lbs.

I don't think you'll find anyone on here that will sanction going ahead and setting it up, having never seen the floor and structure in question. Discuss the total weight with your dad and go from there.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had 55 gallon tanks warp the floor of 'normal' houses I have lived in. I would go perpendiculiar to, not paralel to any joists, so that the weight gets spread out some.

Do you have a bathtub up there anywhere? Think about that for a minute - those things hold about 50 gallons of water in a 'normal' one, and you never hear of somone's bathtub crashing to the floor.

I got hell from my wife when I was talking about putting a new 200 gallon tank in our house. As soon as I reminded her that the garden bath tub had to be about that size and has never crashed into the basement, she loosened up to the possibility some. I don't have the tank yet, but at least I don't have to listen to that crap anymore.

Heck, you can always go to the Wallyworld and buy a half dozen 50 pound weights for a weightlifting bench. lay them on the floor where that tank will go...... If the floor holds, set it up!

Your dad might not like that plan, however, so you are on your own.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, I am an engineer (but not an architect) and I can point you in the right direction. Someone mentioned placing the tank perpendicular to the floor joists. Excellent idea! Wood floor joists can support a tremendous amount of static load. The closer to the wall the tank is, the better. The amount they can carry depends on how close they are spaced and what size they are - 2 x 8, 2 x 10, 2 x 12 etc. Static loads can also cause long term failures. If a floor sags as little as 1/8", over time you will start to notice things like cracked sheetrock and doors and windows not shutting properly. There are just a million variables in this type of calculation. A picture of the house from the OUTSIDE would help tremendously in making an intelligent assessment.

Good luck and feel to free to PM me for detailed info.

Tags
beginner, direction

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com