poisonous gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently switched my substrate to sand. I’ve heard of poisonous gasses that build up in the sand and today I sort of stirred up the sand a little and there was some bubbles that came to the surface. Could someone please explain to me if that was the gas I’ve heard of, how often to stir it up, or just what I might need to know and do about the poisonous gas?
tia

1. Check your water parameters.
How much of it did you stir?
It is possible that you may have released some of the foul air into your tank. Keep an eye out for ammonia (I think, correct me if I am wrong).

The gas that forms is a hydrogen sulfide gas. It builds up in anoxic/anaerobic environments. Look for black areas in your sand. Your bubbles could have just been air bubbles and nothing to worry about. Stirring sand will help prevent it, as well as not placing rock on sand, which packs it down and limits oxygen flow in the sand.

DT is right. I don't stir mine. I wonder if I should start...Any advice on that?

I have never stirred mine. IMO I dont think you should. If you do anything I would get one of those PWC cleaners ( I forget the proper name) and lightly clean with those as the bad water will go out the tank. If you just stir then that water stays in the tank and causes problems.

I forget the proper name

Something like the python siphon. It just has a large tube that allows the water and gunk to get sucked out.

I don't stir my sand either. But I do vaccum the top layer with a vaccum (suction, whatever you call it ;) ) No problems so far. Gets the gunk off the top layer.

You could get a star fish or a goby to stir the sand for you if you are really worried about it. I don't stir my sand either. I heard that you can fowl up your water by doing so. I just vacuum the top layer occationally and I have two conches that help to stir the sand as well.

ckmn101 said:
I recently switched my substrate to sand.

How recently and what process did you use? You could have simply just released some of the air that is trapped in the sand when you first put it in there if you put it in with the tank dry.

Pepto bismal works good for gas! Oh wait we are talking fishtanks right? :)

Over a 4 week period I took out around ¼ of the cc then the 4th week I added all the sand at once- it was the caribSea so called “live” sand. Thanks for the advice!

ckmn101 said:
Over a 4 week period I took out around ¼ of the cc then the 4th week I added all the sand at once- it was the caribSea so called “live” sand. Thanks for the advice!

Good plan. I saw a tnak with a mix of live sand and cc substrate and it looked pretty good. It was more sand thacc so i wondered if they had done what you did but it turns he didn't he just liked the look.

Back
Top Bottom