Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you regularly run GAC in your reef tank?
Yes 4 30.77%
No 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Poll: Do you run GAC?

I have always thought that most people did not run GAC in their SW setups.
But I'm curious to find out how many people do. If you answer yes, please
tell us the method you choose to use the GAC(ie, powerfilter, custom, etc).

Old 03-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a tank without live rock, carbon should always be in use 24/7. In a reef set up...a tank with live rock support, should have much less exposure to carbon. Reef grade for a week once a month I've been told is well enough without depleting trace elements. Word is, carbon may absorb a large portion of the system's needed trace elements making a need for frequent dosing of additional chemical additives (trace elements).

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTFish
In a tank without live rock, carbon should always be in use 24/7. In a reef set up...a tank with live rock support, should have much less exposure to carbon. Reef grade for a week once a month I've been told is well enough without depleting trace elements. Word is, carbon may absorb a large portion of the system's needed trace elements making a need for frequent dosing of additional chemical additives (trace elements).
sort of confused by what you said. So using carbon 1 week per month in a reef may absorb large portions of trace elements? The last sentence you said carbon can deplete trace elements thus bringing the need to dose trace elements....are you referring to the 24/7 usage of carbon in this sentence or the 1 week per month usage?
Old 03-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm referring to the 24/7 usage depleting trace elements.

Running reef grade carbon for a week once a month will help keep toxins absorbed as the carbon does, but not in there all the time to rob trace elements out of the system.

Hope that cleared it up for you

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I use reef carbon about 1 week once a month to help absorb any toxins. My Xenia responds a lot better when I do that.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chemi-pur 24/7 in both of my reefs.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
Quote:
Running reef grade carbon for a week once a month will help keep toxins absorbed as the carbon does, but not in there all the time to rob trace elements out of the system.
I do this too. It seems to help, but the rest of the time, I use Nitrate Sponge, filter pad, and a bag of reusable Purigen. Since I like to clean the purigen bag out once a month, that is when I slip in the carbon cartridge.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you guys put the GAC/chemi-pure/etc into your systems? Do you use a powerfilter? I have an 18g sump with 3 compartments for rubble/skimmer, fuge and return pump. How do i integrate GAC into my system?

I woudl prefer to keep it in the sump. I have an old whisper power filter that i could possibly use from my RW days.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chemi-pure comes in it's own mesh bag. You just rinse in RO/DI water and place it in your tank. I put mine in my sump just before the return pump. In my nano it sits in the first filter chamber in the filter compartment.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

carbon 24/7 in both tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com