Poll: Do you use bare hands in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you use bare hands in the tank?

• Total voters
JPloman said:
DragonForce,

I am curious where you get the information about oxygen levels plummeting? I have never heard this.

I always thought that the oxygen levels in the tank are controled by oxygen exchange from the water surface. The more movement you have on the surface the better for hte oxygen exchange. I did not know that you could remove oxygen from the water by putting your hand it your tank.

(obviously "plummeting" was an overstatement but what bias information is not?:lol: )

My LFS guy Darren went to a seminar about 4 years ago and they talked about the effects of using your bare hand inside the tank.

From my understanding, this is really only a problem in smaller systems for a rather lengthly ammount of time. If you think about it, it makes perfectly good sense. The cells on your skin need oxygen for gas exchange themselves, thus causing your hand to use up oxygen you place it inside your tank.

I believe he said there were some other things that happens when you stick your hand into your tank, Ill try and findout next time I go to pickup some water.

Cool, please do get the other info about it when you have a chance. Also ask him where he learned that? I have done google searchs on it, and come up with nothing. I always like to have scientific proof of things like this! :D

From my understanding, this is really only a problem in smaller systems for a rather lengthly ammount of time
I guess I better stop letting my cleaners eat out of my hand?

Scientific or not look at the results. 58 to 2 If it was a problem I think someone on here would have noticed it by now. It is always better to use gloves to reduce the chance of putting something in your water. I can see where it could possibly cause a big problem in a nano if you were in the water for a while. I guess I will put this on my list of things to figure out. How many licks to the center of a tootsie roll pop is currently at the top of the list. :D

Back
Top Bottom