Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you use bare hands in the tank?
Yes 66 97.06%
No 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
I've never worn gloves, and I'm always trying not to get my hands wet, but there's always something that needs attention. It seems like as soon as you've picked up your fallen coral, you have a snail that's fallen upside down, and you feel too guilty not to put it right-side up.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I worry more about whats on my hands that I might get in the tank than what is going to hurt me. If Im just doing something simple and quick I rinse my hands but if Im doing any major maintainance I put on the shoulder gloves

Old 11-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
I do it too feed my eel and move things around and pick up the algae clip..that's about it.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always put my bare hands in my tank. I also make sure I haven't used any chemicals that day, and my hands are clean.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I think the most important thing you can do for your tank is to keep your hands out and let it be as much as possible. The very moment you dip your hand into the water, oxygen levels begin to plummet and oils from your skin run off into the water. This is more of a problem in smaller systems for obvious reasons. Always rinse your arm off real well with water before dipping your arm into the water and be as brief as possible. (if you have a system like brenden you could probably swim in it and be fine )

It's a fantastic idea to get some long tongs, or long skewers as mentioned. Avoid using any type of metal tools.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DragonForce,

I am curious where you get the information about oxygen levels plummeting? I have never heard this.

I always thought that the oxygen levels in the tank are controled by oxygen exchange from the water surface. The more movement you have on the surface the better for hte oxygen exchange. I did not know that you could remove oxygen from the water by putting your hand it your tank.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you've washed your hands well first, I don't see a problem with having your hands in the tank. I have tongs and use them and lift tubes when I can but I still always have my hands in the tank for one reason or another and my tank/corals/fish have never suffered any ill effects from it. Been doing it this way for four years and with my fw and sw tanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:39 AM   #18

I am a hands on type of guy... I seem to go through a roll of paper towels in a couple hours...He he... I have been stuck, cut, stung, bit, bristled, rash, you name it.. nothing is going to keep me from putting my hands in the tank... 8O as others have said, I wash my hands, rinse twice, do what I need to do and then wash again.....
Old 11-10-2005, 10:41 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I wash my hands, rinse twice, do what I need to do and then wash again.....

You know, I gotta improve on my "wash again" after I finish. Got the rest down.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wear aqua-gloves when performing my weekly maintenance. But, I use my bare hands when I need to perform more delicate work (eg- coral placement). In certain situations, you need a more "delicate touch" and wearing gloves just isn't practical.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com