Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you use bare hands in the tank?
Yes 66 97.06%
No 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Originally Posted by JPloman

I am curious where you get the information about oxygen levels plummeting? I have never heard this.

I always thought that the oxygen levels in the tank are controled by oxygen exchange from the water surface. The more movement you have on the surface the better for hte oxygen exchange. I did not know that you could remove oxygen from the water by putting your hand it your tank.
(obviously "plummeting" was an overstatement but what bias information is not? )

My LFS guy Darren went to a seminar about 4 years ago and they talked about the effects of using your bare hand inside the tank.

From my understanding, this is really only a problem in smaller systems for a rather lengthly ammount of time. If you think about it, it makes perfectly good sense. The cells on your skin need oxygen for gas exchange themselves, thus causing your hand to use up oxygen you place it inside your tank.

I believe he said there were some other things that happens when you stick your hand into your tank, Ill try and findout next time I go to pickup some water.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Cool, please do get the other info about it when you have a chance. Also ask him where he learned that? I have done google searchs on it, and come up with nothing. I always like to have scientific proof of things like this!

JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
From my understanding, this is really only a problem in smaller systems for a rather lengthly ammount of time
I guess I better stop letting my cleaners eat out of my hand?

Scientific or not look at the results. 58 to 2 If it was a problem I think someone on here would have noticed it by now. It is always better to use gloves to reduce the chance of putting something in your water. I can see where it could possibly cause a big problem in a nano if you were in the water for a while. I guess I will put this on my list of things to figure out. How many licks to the center of a tootsie roll pop is currently at the top of the list.

*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com